LONG TERM SUBSITUTE: PHYSICAL EDUCATION TEACHER, STAMFORD ACADEMY CHARTER HIGH SCHOOL
About the program:
Stamford Academy is a public charter high school serving students in grades 9 through 12. The school actively seeks to serve the most academically and behaviorally struggling students in our community and prepare them to transition successfully to meaningful post-secondary education.
About the position:
The position of Physical Education teacher is to deliver instruction in whole-class, small-group, and one-on-one environments. The Physical Education Teacher will be required to plan for each day’s instructional activities and will participate in weekly professional development opportunities. The Physical Education Teacher will also conduct assessments and data analysis.
- Teach Connecticut Common Core Standards in a classroom setting
- Maintain a classroom environment that is conducive to learning
- Meet and instruct assigned classes in the locations and at the time designated
- Maintain the established routines of the class
- Effectively de-escalate students in crisis according to the tenets of Therapeutic Crisis Intervention
- Conduct assessment and data analysis in the areas of reading and literacy
- Help develop consequences that teach new skills
- Attend and participate in events outside of school hours
- Supervise transitions and whole-student gatherings
- Remain visible in the school environment
Required core competencies include:
- Excellent organizational, time management, and follow-up skills
- Must be able and willing to work with a behaviorally difficult youth population in a positive and calm manner
- Absolute commitment to the mission and core principle of Domus, including the Sanctuary Model of trauma-informed care
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with demonstrated ability to speak and write clearly and persuasively
- Exceptional problem-solving, critical-thinking, and strategic planning skills
- Ability to successfully handle multiple projects concurrently
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and take initiative
- Ability to learn quickly and to be effective in a fast-paced, dynamic, entrepreneurial environment
- Highly proficient with MS Excel
- Must be committed to finding ways to keep students in the school building for restorative justice.
- Must be computer literate in relevant educational software programs
Educational background and work experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Exercise Science or closely related field with 2 years’ experience in an educational setting is preferred. Combination of education, training, and experience will be considered.
This is a ten-month position; it follows the school calendar and will end on the last day of the 2019-2020 school year.
Compensation for this temporary, full-time position will be calculated based on your actual start date, full year salary range is $47,000 - $50,000 based on certification status and experience. Staff members are provided with a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package (health, dental, vision, 403(b) plan, life insurance, disability, etc.), and a working environment that includes all the necessary technology and resources to succeed. Join a team of like-minded educators who work to achieve the mission ensuring that the community’s most struggling students get the world-class education and social support they need to thrive at the next level.
To apply: Submit a letter of interest and resume in response to this ad. Stamford Academy is committed to equal employment opportunity, and we encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for open positions. Stamford Academy does not discriminate against applicants based on race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, physical or mental handicap, or disability or veteran status.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $47,000.00 to $50,000.00 /year
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance