Senior Systems Engineer / Business Focus
This role offers you a rare opportunity to directly impact the energy industry alongside a team of passionate, creative engineers and entrepreneurs in a fun, dynamic innovation center. Shell TechWorks (STW) has developed a company-leading technology delivery methodology that blends systems and design thinking with state-of-the-art technologies and tools, to produce highly effective solutions for Shell. In addition to developing creative systems and products, you will also be part of a truly collaborative, inclusive, multi-functional team with a mission to help Shell produce more and cleaner energy.
Some examples of projects we have worked on recently include:
- Predicting future maintenance cost savings and safety performance from adopting new technologies and workflows in the field.
- Performing root cause analysis on the variance in construction costs of Shell hydrogen fueling stations.
- Analyzing the financial transactions and transportation costs of a downstream business to identify cost saving opportunities.
This position is assigned to Shell TechWorks. For more information about Shell TechWorks, please visit their website: http://www.shell.com/global/future-energy/innovation/innovate-with-shell/shell-techworks.html.
Developing Innovative Solutions For A Complex Business: You will be expected to work with customers (internal and external to Shell), the STW team, and end users to define stakeholder needs, including both technical and business requirements. You will then generate the business and use models that frame the design process. The position involves thinking holistically to define the problem, envision solutions, and identify business risks. STW seeks individuals who are innovation and design oriented rather than process oriented. You are expected to have a self motivating personality and strong work ethic.
Portfolio Development: Senior systems architects are asked to support the development and growth of our business within Shell. You are expected to provide technical feedback to Business Development staff to ensure potential projects are in line with our core capabilities and strategically relevant to the engineering organization.
Leadership: Senior systems architects at STW are asked to perform the role of technical director and assume leadership positions on projects. Therefore, it is imperative that you demonstrate the characteristics of a servant leader, while providing guidance and leadership to others. You must lead from the front. Success in this role also requires being able to influence external stakeholders and teammates in other organizations.
Technical Knowledge: In addition, you must demonstrate deep knowledge in one or more fields of technical and business analysis. Due to the broad spectrum of projects STW will be engaging, you must demonstrate an ability to rapidly gain understanding in new contexts and provide meaningful analysis, modeling, and design.
A Culture of Safety: You will be responsible for ensuring a healthy, safe, secure and environmentally conscious work environment is maintained at all times and by all staff, in compliance with corporate policies and federal and state regulations.
Desired Skills and Experience
- B.Sc in an engineering field, or equivalent; M.Sc is preferred
- MBA is preferred
- At least 5 years experience in an engineering environment including market analysis, cost modeling, and business case development
- Experience in voice-of-customer tools, supply chain analysis, or market economics a plus
- Experience in an entrepreneurial technology company environment
- Experience with stakeholder management and customer interface in a consulting relationship
The following personal traits or abilities are critical for success
- Excels in “grey areas” with the ability to take ambiguous stakeholder challenges and establish an actionable project execution strategy that satisfies their needs
- Strong collaborative and interpersonal skills with the ability to manage complex stakeholder relationships
- Enthusiastic individual with a continuous improvement mindset that has a willingness to contribute to and enhance the culture and our ways of working at STW
- Ability and drive to deliver on time, while working in a semi-autonomous environment
- Willingness to travel up to 20% domestically and internationally
STW invests in maintaining its inclusive, fun, and close-knit culture. We provide generous training and development opportunities for employees, in addition to competitive compensation, benefits, and paid time off. Every day we work to provide an environment where all employees feel valued and included, able to nurture their talent as individuals and as part of a collaborative team. A diverse and inclusive workplace, embedded in our principles of honesty, integrity and respect, brings together remarkable people and enables them to be themselves. At STW, you will be able to apply and develop your skills and knowledge as part of a team that is helping to innovate and play a part in building a better energy future.
This role is based in a vibrant office environment located in the Northwest corner of MIT’s campus, close to Kendall Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Cenergy is a dynamic company that supplies expert workforce solutions to the oil and gas industry, with offices around the world including the United States, Canada, Netherlands, Scotland and Australia. This position is assigned to Shell TechWorks. CIS offers a generous compensation, benefits and vacation package. This role is based in a vibrant office environment located in the Northwest corner of MIT’s campus, close to Kendall Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Please apply directly to the position at http://shelltechworks.mytribehr.com/careers by submitting a cover letter and resume for consideration.
Job Type: Full-time
- relevant: 1 year (Preferred)