Bachelor’s degree in Information Science / Information Technology, Data Science, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field OR 4 years equivalent professional or military experience
6+ months of Industry experience
Experience with one or more of the following areas:
- Analytics -Linux, Networking, MySQL/PostgreSQL/Oracle, Database Performance Tuning, ETL, Kinesis/ElasticSearch/Cloudsearch/Redshift
- Big Data -Hadoop, Hive, Pig, Spark, HDFS, Map-Reduce, Zookeeper, HBASE, Oozie, Presto, Hue, Yarn, HTFS, Sqoop, Python, shell scripting
- Databases - Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL, PostgreSQL, NoSQL, performance tuning, HA databases, database scaling
- Deployment/DevOps - Orchestration/Configuration Management and Continuous Integration technology; Git/Perforc/SVN/TFVC; Chef/Puppet/Docker/Jenkins/Ansible; Apache Tomcat,/Nginx/Glassfish/JBoss/Puma/IIS; Bash/PowerShell/Ruby/Python/ebextensions
- Linux Systems Administration - Linux/Unix (Ubuntu/CentOS/RedHat/Solaris; Networking; IPsec, VPN, Load Balancing, Iperf, MTR, Routing Protocols, SSH, Network Monitoring
- Networking - DNS; IPsec; BGP; Load Balancing; Configuring & troubleshooting software-based (IPsec & SSL) VPN solutions; experience with devices -Cisco/Juniper/SonicWall/ Fortinet,/Checkpoint,/Palo Alto/Yamaha
- Security – Information security (application security, cryptography, threat modeling, penetration testing); web security and compliance (Firewalls, IDS/IPS systems, DOS prevention, PCI, HIPAA, FIPS, etc.
- Storage & Content Delivery (Content Delivery Networks; Streaming video/H264/MP4/WEBM/Smooth Streaming; Search Engines/Solr/Lucene; Storage protocols/iSCSI/NFS/CIFS/SMB; client/server & distributed systems architecture)
- Windows Systems Administration (Windows Server versions 2003-2012R2; Networking/DNS/TCP/IP)
Amazon has built a reputation for excellence with recent examples of being named #1 in customer service, #1 most trusted, and #2 most innovative. Amazon Web Services (AWS) is carrying on that tradition while leading the world in Cloud technologies. As a member of the AWS Support team you will be at the forefront of this transformational technology assisting a global list of companies that are taking advantage of a growing set of services and features to run their mission-critical applications. You will work with leading companies in this space and directly with the engineering teams within Amazon developing these new capabilities.
The AWS Support team is seeking engineers that enjoy solving problems, working with customers, and have technical backgrounds from a variety of different fields including Linux/Windows systems administration, database design and optimization, big data analysis, network administration, and DevOps. The networking role supports our services that focus on networking technologies including Route 53, Elastic Load Balancing, VPC. A solid network provides the foundation for all Cloud services. Support engineers may field general guidance questions from customers such as setting up a small website using EC2 up to troubleshooting and reproducing complex performance issues from customers with fleets of thousands of EC2 instances.
Our support engineers are also the “voice of the customer” and have a strong voice in to the development teams for recurring issues or feature requests. If you’re experienced in Linux system administration and you are more comfortable “getting your hands dirty” than using a search engine for solutions, then we’re looking for you!
Why AWS Support?
- Follow-the-sun model with support sites in 6 locations globally: No after hours on-call or mandated overtime in this role.
- Travel the world: Strong support engineers interested in travel have presented training or participated in focused summits across our sites or at specific AWS events.
- Career development within AWS Support: We promote advancement opportunities including senior support engineer, tier 2.5 / SME, team lead, and technical account manager – 5 support engineers have been promoted to manager within the last 2 years in Seattle alone.
- Variety: Support engineers not only work a broad spectrum of technical issues but may also coach/mentor new hires, develop and present training, partner with development teams on complex issues or contact deflection initiatives, participate in recruiting, write tools/script to help the team, or work with leadership on process improvement or strategic initiatives.
- Flexible schedule: Salaried role with flexible start time of 8 or 10 AM.
- Open to working 1 weekend day as part of an offset 5 day week (Sun-Thurs or Tues-Sat)
- 1+ years of experience with System Administration with Linux (Ubuntu, CentOS, RedHat) and/or Microsoft Windows Server and associated technologies (Active Directory, Exchange)
- 1+ years of experience with Networking and troubleshooting (TCP/IP, DNS, routing, switching, firewalls, LAN/WAN, traceroute, iperf, dig, cURL or related)
- Expertise with IPsec, VPN, Load Balancing, Iperf, MTR, Routing Protocols, SSH, Storage, Network monitoring / troubleshooting tools
- Experience analyzing, troubleshooting, and providing solutions for technical issues
- Some programming / scripting experience (Java, Perl, Ruby, Python)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills – customers contact us via calls, chats, and email.
- Strong customer focus
- Strong multi-tasking skills
- Self-starter who is excited about technology
- Experience managing full application stacks from the OS up through custom applications
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.