Area Operations Manager, Southern Tier Brewing Company
Here’s your opportunity to join a growing organization committed to revolutionizing the craft beer industry. We are hiring for an Area Operations Manager. Southern Tier Brewing Company was founded in 2002 and is owned by Artisanal Brewing Ventures, the 13th largest craft brewing company in the United States. Southern Tier is recognized in the industry for innovation in craft brewing, and is committed to producing the highest quality product.
What an exciting time to join the team at Southern Tier Brewing Company! With the opening of our Pittsburgh & Cleveland locations as well as our Charlotte location with our friends at Victory Brewing Company, the opportunities here are limitless. Becoming a member of the STBC team means you’re joining a truly unique and progressing organization that values the employees’ enthusiasm, commitment, and desire to work with others.
We are looking for world class candidates who share in our vision towards becoming a world class organization.
Oversee and coordinate planning, organizing, training and leadership necessary to achieve stated objectives in sales, costs, employee retention, guest service and satisfaction, food quality, cleanliness and sanitation.
Residence location: Pittsburgh, PA OR Cleveland, OH with regular travel to our 3 STBC locations: Lakewood, NY, Cleveland, OH, & Pittsburgh, PA.
Reports to: Vice President of Retail
Sales, Profit, Growth Responsibilities
- Responsible to drive area sales and profit plans, budget through successful leadership, organizational plans, customer service, and outstanding execution of all platform operations strategies, consistently across all stores.
- Know and manage the business by effectively using sales reports, assessing departmental results, and developing specific actions directly related to business growth, consistently across all stores.
- Lead and direct the development of store level sales goals and action plans for management teams directly tied into measurable results with timely and consistent execution.
- Responsible to ensure that management teams are current with product marketing mix through a commitment to formalized training and development within prescribed time lines and standards.
- Accountable to ensure that trends of underperformance are formally addressed, with clear and documented performance improvement plans in place.
- Ensure stores have bench strength for future management needs both in existing and new store markets.
- Responsible to maintain a current career path/associate assessment overview of each store team, and the Area as an operating unit.
- Understand the HR policies and procedures and ensure compliance consistently between stores.
- Responsible to consistently and effectively communicate the company objectives to all store management teams through organized and scheduled conference calls and email communication.
- Establish a process to ensure that stores have accountability to expectations on a consistent and timely basis.
Customer Engagement and Team Building Responsibilities
- Customer engagement must be a point of differentiation aimed at quality, satisfaction and experience which leads to an emotional and loyal brand/customer attachment.
- Ensure that all store associates greet, engage and manage the floor and customer flow towards an outstanding in store customer experience.
- Set world class expectations for customer service and hold the management team accountable to the measurable results associated.
- Responsible to manage all stores consistently towards acceptable customer service scores, feedback, and conversion results.
- Ensure stores are “closing to open” and that throughout the day, clear and defined associate floor zoning and management occurs to maintain visual/merchandising standards, coupled with an outstanding customer engagement culture.
- Ensure the overall people plan of the area reflects high standards, bench and succession planning, coupled with consistent mentoring and people development.
Facility Management and Operations Responsibilities
- Ensure that each store associate is trained and compliant with all basic inventory management/movement/receiving processes. Consistently execute quality inventory practices with receiving, restocking, transfers, and managing inventory discrepancies.
- Diagnose, assist and troubleshoot facility functions to maintain the highest operational quality and standards.
- Ensures and employs company standards with best practice methodology for security, safety and sanitation standards.
- Manage stores to work within labor scheduling budget/models, both hours and FT/PT ratio.
- Direct a standard with store schedules that reflects a store staffing approach that meets the customer needs.
Attributes and Experience
- Demonstrated time management skills with the ability to prioritize and multi task, with laser like focus to detail.
- Ability to articulate thoughts into clear and concise written and verbal communication.
- Exhibits initiative, responsibility, flexibility and outstanding leadership skills. Inspiring interpersonal effectiveness to lead teams, train talent and effect change. Willing and able to be a “doer” and “influencer”.
- Progressive knowledge base in all areas of Restaurant facility operations including: BOH, FOH, maintenance, safety, regulatory compliance and human resources.
- Availability for travel.
- Strategic Mindset - Anticipates future trends and implications accurately. Readily poses future scenarios. Articulate credible pictures and visions of possibilities that will create sustainable value. Creates competitive and breakthrough strategies that show a clear connection between vision and action.
- Decision Quality - Makes sound decisions, even in the absence of complete information. Relies on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement when making decisions. Considers all relevant factors and uses appropriate decision-making criteria and principles. Recognizes when a quick 80% solution will suffice.
- Drives Results - Has a strong bottom-line orientation. Persists in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks. Has a track record of exceeding goals successfully. Pushes self and helps other achieve results.
- Ensures Accountability - Follows through on commitments and makes sure others do the same. Acts with a clear sense of ownership. Takes personal responsibilities and processes for monitoring work and measuring results. Designs feedback loops into work.
- Communicates Effectively - Is effective in a variety of communication settings: one-on-one, small and large groups, or among diverse styles and position levels. Attentively listens to others. Adjusts to fit the audience and message. Provides timely and helpful information to others across the organization. Encourage the open expression of diverse ideas and opinion.
- Drives Vision and Purpose - Talks about future possibilities in a positive way. Creates milestones and symbols to rally support behind the vision. Articulates the vision in a way everyone can relate to. Creates organization-wide energy and optimism for the future. Shows personal commitment to the vision.
- Collaborate - Worked cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives. Represents own interests while being fair to others and other areas. Partners with other to get work done. Credits others for their contributions and accomplishments. Gains trust and support of others.
- Attracts Top Talent - Attracts and selects diverse and high caliber talent. Finds the right talent to meet the group's needs. Closes talent gaps with the right balance of internal and external candidates. Is a good judge of talent.
- Builds Effective Teams - Forms teams with appropriate and diverse mix of styles, perspectives, and experiences. Establishes common objectives and a shared mindset. Creates a feeling of belonging and strong team morale. Shares wins and rewards team efforts. Fosters open dialogue and collaboration among the team.
- Instills Trust - Follows through on commitments. Is seen as direct and truthful. Keeps confidences. Practices what he/she preaches. Shows consistency between works and actions.
- Has successful multi-unit full service restaurant background for a minimum of 3 years.
- Has ability to travel 70% of time.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Knowledge of craft beer and/or serious interest in understanding craft beer styles and the industry.
- Some experience or education in food service and understanding the restaurant’s predominant language.
- Possess technology skills including MS Office, Aloha (preferred), and other industry related software.
- Possess excellent basic math skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- A basic understanding of financial statements is preferred.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 5 hours).
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds.
- Must have the stamina to work 50-60 hours per week.
- Ability to drive to taprooms regularly with occasional flying for business meetings.
This Job Description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job, not an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks and duties.
Southern Tier Brewing Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full-time
- multi-unit management: 3 years (Preferred)