Do you have a passion and experience creating inspiring interior design projects? If so, we’re looking for you! Calico is a leading retailer for custom decorating services with over 70 years of experience in the designer fabrics, design services and upholstered furniture business.
We offer extremely competitive hourly pay + monthly incentive, full benefits, Sunday/Mondays off and generous discount!
At Calico, our customers know us for our commitment to customer service and our superior quality products. As a Designer you will use your creative talents along with your experience with fabrics, custom furniture and window coverings to help Calico customers create beautiful spaces.
The successful Designer will approach this unique role as an eager entrepreneur who has an eye for creating custom designs with an innate understanding of color, design and custom home furnishings. You will use your experience in design and/or sales to build a rapport with satisfied repeat customers and to form new client relationships by utilizing all available business development opportunities.
- Ability to identify customer’s needs and to present and sell the appropriate products by relying on a strong knowledge of fabrics and their applications, product construction, including window coverings and upholstered furniture, drapery hardware and their applications, home decorating, and design principles. Hunter Douglas experience a plus!
- 1-2 year’s work experience in home furnishings, window coverings and/or furniture is required. Preference given to those with experience and/or education in decorating, and/or design.
- Must demonstrate the ability to bring large and detailed sales to a close in an efficient manner. Ability to achieve a pre-determined sales goal, as well as meeting other forms of measures (“Closure rate”, etc). Experience with networking, clienteling and community outreach. Ability to build long-term customer relationships and to obtain referrals for future sales.
- An awareness of current trends in design and home décor.
- Ability to maintain a schedule which includes time to be used to schedule in-home visits, attend install and/or satisfaction check visits, meet with customers for in-store follow-up appointments, to participate in community outreach, and to perform administrative duties related to the designer role. Schedule will include assigned in-store hours as well as in-home appointments as deemed necessary by Manager. Willingness to work Saturdays, promotions, sales, and semi-annual inventories as scheduled or required. Must attend all store meetings.
- Valid driver’s license with good driving record and ability to provide own transportation to and from customers’ homes.
- Works on selling floor, meeting with clients to build repeat and referral based clientele.
- Makes home visits as needed to provide customers with complete design solutions. Schedules appointments at times that are mutually advantageous to customer and store needs.
- Prepares quotes for custom product orders using company specific software and effectively sells appropriate services to customer regarding measurements and installations. Ensures the customer clearly understands the process and obtains all necessary signatures and payments prior to proceeding with the project.
- Properly executes paperwork accurately and in a timely manner and maintains communication with customers regarding any backordered items or other delays that may adversely affect anticipated delivery.
- Consistently meets or exceeds sales goals.
Our successful Designers love the perks of working for Calico including:
- Base hourly rate plus the opportunity to earn monthly incentive that rewards consistent high performance.
- Paid training! We provide comprehensive training that focuses on fabrics and their applications, designing and developing custom products, sales technique and design. Training is provided in store and online through trainer led webinars and pre-recorded tutorials. We even provide live classes designed specifically for the role you have assumed.
- Mileage and travel expense reimbursements
- Generous Employee discounts!
- Medical, Dental, Vision and Disability/Life benefits for full time associates
- Vacation and Holiday Pay for full time associates and after two years for regular part-time associates.
- Outstanding retail hours that allow for nice work/life balance!
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: Up to $18.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Day shift
- No nights
- Weekend availability
Supplemental pay types:
- interior design: 1 year (Preferred)
- Sales: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: In person