Full-time, benefited position with the Office of Community and Economic Development (OCED) through the California State University, Fresno Foundation. OCED is an applied research unit of California State University, Fresno dedicated to finding solutions to major issues impacting the San Joaquin Valley. Its mission is to improve the region’s competitiveness in the knowledge-based economy by assisting in the implementation of programs to improve the economic condition, quality of life, and social well-being of residents in the San Joaquin Valley. OCED provides executive staffing and coordination for key regional initiatives, including California Partnership for the San Joaquin Valley (CPSJV), Central Valley AgPLUS: Food and Beverage Manufacturing Consortium (Central Valley AgPLUS), San Joaquin Valley Housing Collaborative (SJVHC), San Joaquin Valley Regional Broadband Consortium (SJVRBC), and San Joaquin Valley Rural Development Center (SJVRDC). OCED coordinates an EDA University Center program with the Center for Economic Development at CSU Chico
Under direction of the Executive Director, this position is responsible for event planning, marketing and communications tasks with an emphasis on graphic design, document formatting and social media/electronic marketing. They will be responsible for external communications involving OCED initiatives and, as needed, its partners. They also will coordinate various communications needs such as event management and registration, database management, website maintenance and various internal and external communications. This position will at times need to work a flexible work schedule depending on events.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Communications Coordinator will be responsible for:
Marketing and Communications Responsibilities
- Format electronic mail broadcasts for OCED initiatives and, as needed, its partners.
- Maintain multiple distribution lists within Internet-based email program and GoldMine database administration.
- Format and edit press release and media advisory content as necessary; distribute accordingly.
- Oversee and implement social media strategy, connecting social media sites to partners and stakeholders.
- Format, edit, and wordsmith content provided for newsletters (SJVRDC, Valley Planners Network, etc.); research relevant events and format for newsletter; develop newsletter where applicable.
- Design marketing graphics for OCED initiatives and, as needed, its partners.
- Organize speaker support materials for meetings, summits and/or forums.
- Maintain websites associated with OCED initiatives and, as needed, its partners.
Event Planning Responsibilities
- Responsible for coordinating all events for OCED, including facility engagement, catering and material preparation as well as day-of and post-event logistics and details, in coordination with other relevant OCED staff.
- Create schematics and timelines, plan logistics and ordering, generate contract with vendors for signature and provide on-site support to ensure each event is successfully executed, in coordination with other relevant OCED staff.
- Oversee OCED’s facility and catering requests and distribute all fiscal agreements necessary for the smooth operations of all events, with assistance from OCED fiscal team.
- Serve as the point person for OCED with all facilities and caterers.
- Obtain facility agreements and applications for all OCED contracts for signature and processing in a timely manner, with assistance from OCED fiscal team.
- Arrange food and beverage, audiovisual equipment, incentives, and supplies as necessary for each event, in coordination with other relevant OCED staff.
- Provide on-site support to ensure successful execution of each event, including coordination of any volunteers
- Work closely with OCED fiscal team in processing event related purchase orders, assist in collecting and reconciling facility and catering invoices, preparation of fiscal tracking sheets, preparation of progress and payment reports and analyses for each contract, and tracking and documenting of any event sponsorships, registration fees and/or donations.
- Conduct market research, and find vendors that meet the needs of OCED.
- Maintain a directory of facilities, caterers, etc.
- Provide administrative support to the Executive Director to help ensure successful completion of all OCED related communications tasks.
- Assist with general office duties including answering phone lines, opening and distributing mail, and making photocopies.
- Communicate with internal and external staff regarding meetings, events, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Associate's degree (A.A.) or equivalent from a two (2) year college or technical school; or minimum two (2) years of professional experience in a related field
- Proven ability in event planning and project coordination
- A valid driver’s license in good standing and current insurance is required
- Proficient in Word, Access, scanning equipment, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel, web design software (such as Drupal, WordPress, etc.), and Adobe products
- Must possess superior interpersonal skills and enjoy a challenging environment
- Must be highly flexible, able to adjust priorities, work under the pressure of deadlines, and display a can-do attitude with ability to deal positively with frequent change and deadlines
- Drives for results and success, conveys a sense of urgency, and persists despite obstacles
- Understands issues relevant to the OCED and keeps that knowledge up-to-date
- Meets time commitments and follows through to job completion
- Uses strong analytical, written and verbal communication skills
- Recognizes and respects diverse ideas and encourages and supports others
- Relates to people in an open, friendly, accepting manner
- Emphasizes the need to deliver quality products and/or services and evaluates work product, processes, and/or service against those standards
- Gathers relevant information systematically, considers a broad range of issues or factors, and seeks input from others
- Makes logical and judicious decisions and provides workable solutions to problems
$3,500.00 per month. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k), vacation, sick and holiday pay.
Application review begins March 7, 2019; open until filled.
Please visit the Auxiliary Human Resources page at: www.auxiliary.com for job announcement and application. Applications may be mailed, emailed, faxed or delivered in person to:
California State University, Fresno
Auxiliary Human Resources
2771 E. Shaw Ave. (there is no suite number)
Fresno, CA 93710 Fax: (559) 278-0988
RESUMES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT A COMPLETED APPLICATION
California State University, Fresno is a smoke free campus. For more information, please click http://fresnostate.edu/adminserv/smokefree/index.html
Employment for this position is by the California State University, Fresno Foundation. This is not a State of California position.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/ADA EMPLOYER
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $3,500.00 /month
- Event Planning: 2 years (Required)
- Driver's License (Required)
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Other types of insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts