Full Job Description
This position holds responsibility for constructing, erecting, installing, and repairing commercial structures and fixtures of various materials using both manual and power tools and conforming to local building codes. A secondary focus of this position is to perform a variety of basic tasks related to pouring and finishing concrete in commercial construction as directed by supervisor.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Take direction from supervisor on dimensions to build and set forms.
- Select, cut, shape, and assemble lumber and other structural units using manual and power tools.
- Build concrete forms and pour and finish concrete, including steps and stairways.
- Assist in determining sequence of activities concerned with fabrication, assembly, and erection of structures.
- Verify trueness/accuracy of structures.
- Move supplies, materials, and equipment from one area of project site to another either manually or using lifting/transferring equipment.
- Lift, carry, and hold construction materials, tools, and supplies.
- May assist in grade work, mixing of concrete, and setting of forms.
- Spread concrete to specified depth using a concrete vibrator or hand tools.
- Level, smooth, and shape surfaces of freshly poured concrete, using straight edge and float or power screed.
- Finish concrete surfaces using power trowel, broom, or hand trowel.
- Remove rough or defective spots from concrete with abrasive stone or grinder and then create a uniform finished surface.
- Patch holes with patching material.
- Create decorative joints and edges using proper hand tools.
- Produce finished concrete surface using broom.
- May mix cement using hoe or concrete mixing machine.
- May break up old concrete surfaces using pneumatic tools.
- Willingness to clean tools, equipment, materials, and work areas.
- Assist supervisors in orienting and training new employees.
- Maintain awareness of safety rules and procedures.
- Identify safety hazards and report to project supervisors.
- Perform additional assignments at supervisor’s direction.
Knowledge, Experience & Competencies:
- Minimum of 4 years experience as a carpenter and/or as a concrete finisher in a commercial construction environment
- Ability to compare and see differences in the size, shape, and form of lines, figures, and objects
- Ability to read and understand construction measurements, quantities, scales and dimensions
- Ability to picture solid objects from drawings or diagrams
- Must have basic competencies in mathematics and be able to perform math operations rapidly and accurately
- Ability to plan work and select proper tools and materials
- Ability to operate equipment as well as manual and power tools typically used in commercial construction
- Ability to figure and shoot elevations with the use of a grade level
- Ability to lay out and build forms square
- Ability to work in a diverse employee mix, supporting team members in completing assigned tasks
- Ability to receive and follow instructions
- Ability to perform a variety of duties which may often change, repeating tasks of short duration according to a set procedure
- Ability to rate information using standards that can be measured or checked
- Ability to work Monday through Friday, at least eight hours per day, five days per week between the hours of 6:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. Ability to work on Saturdays and Sundays as needed to meet project schedules and demands
WHO WE WANT ON OUR TEAM
We are creating a foundation for people to thrive! Not just for our employees, but for our clients, subcontractors, and vendors. We hire individuals who connect with this core purpose as well as our five core values:
DIG THE PIT – “That’s not my job” isn’t in our vocabulary. Each person does what it takes to get the job done right. Regardless of rank or tenure, if the pits needs digging, you dig the pit.
TEAR OUT THE CONCRETE – We strive to do the job right on the first try. And when a mistake happens, even if it could go unnoticed, we owe it to our team to tear out the concrete and fix it.
CLEAR THE SIDEWALK – We’re responsible for the experience we create. While some people prefer to “roll out the red carpet” for a select few, we like to clear the sidewalk for everyone.
4AM DOUGHNUTS – We always go the extra mile to show appreciation and gratitude. Small gestures, like delivering 4am doughnuts for an early morning concrete pour, make a big difference.
TREAT OTHERS LIKE FAMILY – People are at the heart of T. W. Frierson. We work hard because we’re accountable to one another. We don’t just build buildings, we build careers and create meaningful relationships – we treat others like family.
Our core values are not just words on the page - they were inspired by real employees demonstrating them daily.
Job Type: Full-time
- carpentry/concrete finishing: 4 years (Required)
- Which of our core values do you connect with the most and why?
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a high school diploma/GED
- A “Fair Chance” job (you or the employer follow Fair Chance hiring practices when performing background checks - learn more at https://start.indeed.com/fair-chance)
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- Monday to Friday
- Day shift