Brief Description of PSU/School/Dept
Portland State University (PSU), a 50-acre campus located in downtown Portland, is a nationally acclaimed leader in sustainability and community-based learning. The University’s position in the heart of Oregon’s economic and cultural center enables PSU students and faculty to apply scholarly theory to the real-world problems of business and community organizations.
Portland State offers more than 220 undergraduate, master’s, and doctoral degree options, as well as graduate certificates and continuing education programs. PSU is Oregon’s largest and most diverse university, with some 30,000 students who come from all 50 states and from nearly 100 nations around the world.
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) provides the intellectual foundation for the liberal and professional education of students at Portland State and for the enhancement of the quality of life in the metropolitan area. CLAS is the largest academic school at Portland State University. We invite you to explore our website and learn more about the College’s innovative programs, exceptional faculty, and commitment to academic excellence. Click Here
CLAS consists of more than 24 departments across the humanities, social sciences, and sciences. From our region to around the world, CLAS students and faculty conduct research that impacts our understanding and quality of life. Spanning disciplines in the sciences, social sciences, and humanities, the College is proud to have Biology professors creating new drugs to combat deadly diseases; Psychology students and faculty finding ways to prevent and address sexual violence; and World Languages and Literatures faculty examining the influence of language and culture in our global communities.
The Dean’s Office oversees operation of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences which is a major academic unit at Portland State University, with 24 departments and numerous programs under its jurisdiction as well as a large research portfolio. The Senior Fiscal Officer manages the operations, financial planning and fiscal activities of the College. This is a 12-month, fixed term appointment, unranked, unclassified and excluded from the bargaining unit, and reports directly to the Dean.
This position directly supervises the college functions of Finance and Information Technology (IT). Academic Department Managers, Program staff, and Research Administrators have a dotted line reporting relationship to the Senior Fiscal Officer for their fiscal and operation responsibilities. The Senior Fiscal Officer is also responsible for managing the various College facilities including space allocation, renovation projects and equipment inventory. The College’s finances are comprised of $62M Education & General funds, $20M grants, and $8M donor funds. The Senior Fiscal Officer serves a visible role in the college and along with the senior leadership team sets the tone for a culture of collaboration and collegiality.
• Undergraduate Degree or Post Baccalaureate Degree in Accounting, or Master’s Degree in Business or Public Administration
• 5+ years of management experience
• Experience managing the diverse and complex fiscal activities of an organization
• High degree of attention to detail and follow-through
• Experience supervising staff
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Experience developing small to large budgets (i.e. $25,000 to $20+ million)
• Experience designing and implementing workflow process and systems, and organizing resources such as facilities and personnel in order to achieve efficient and effective operations
• Knowledge of grant and contract administration
• Ability to independently analyze data and make recommendations
• Ability to effectively interact and communicate with a diverse clientele including faculty, internal college employees, university colleagues and leadership, and external constituents such as community members, industry executives, public officials and funding agencies
• Successful completion of a background check
• Experience working in a higher education/government environment
• Experience ensuring compliance to polices, rules and regulations
• Experience training employees
• Experience managing departments and/or large staffs
• Understanding of human resources (HR), information technology (IT), and facilities
• Experience participating in, and at times leading, strategic initiatives
• Ability to identify process/system improvements and work with others to implement change
• Experience overseeing operations and fiscal aspects of renovation projects and/or purchase of capital assets
• Experience with audits
• Experience managing enrollment trends with budget and finance
Key Cultural Competencies
• Creates an environment that acknowledges, encourages and celebrates differences.
• Functions and communicates effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities and cultural backgrounds.
• Seeks opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive settings with a willingness to change for continual improvement.
• Adheres to all PSU’s policies including the policies on Prohibited Discrimination & Harassment and the Professional Standards of Conduct.
Contributes to a culture of environmental stewardship, practices resource conservation, and actively works toward achieving long-term sustainability goals.
Monday to Friday 8am-5pm
Total Compensation Range & Benefits Statement
The starting annual salary rate for this position will be between $85,000 and $95,000, dependent upon qualifications and experience, with an excellent benefits package including 95% premium paid healthcare; a generous retirement and vacation package; and reduced tuition rates for employee, spouse or dependent at any of the Oregon Public Universities.
Additional Application Instructions (deadlines, etc.)
Please provide a current resume, a cover letter that addresses how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications and the names and contact information for three professional references.
Does this position require the employee to drive a motor vehicle?
Background Check Required
Position End Date (if applicable)
If you have questions
Questions may be directed to DeLys Ostlund, Associate Dean for the Faculty at email@example.com
Posting Close Date
Projected Close Date for Posting
Open Until Finalists Identified
Application screening begins