Headquartered in Lynchburg, VA., BWX Technologies, Inc. (BWXT) is a leading supplier of nuclear components and fuel to the U.S. government; provides technical, management and site services to support governments in the operation of complex facilities and environmental remediation activities; and supplies precision manufactured components and services for the commercial nuclear power industry. BWXT has more than 5,200 employees and significant operations in Lynchburg, VA.; Erwin, TN.; Mount Vernon, IN.; Euclid, OH; Barberton, OH; and Cambridge, Ontario, as well as more than a dozen U.S. Department of Energy sites around the country. Follow us on Twitter @BWXTech
Fire Protection Specialist - Nuclear Fuel Services - Erwin, TN
Summary Description of Job:
Provide safety analysis and fire protection engineering support for the preparation, review and/or recommendation for approval of safety analysis documents associated with design, construction, startup, and operation of enriched uranium processing and support operations. Participate in team evaluations and support preparation of safety basis documentation for new and/or modified plant processes, systems and components, including items relied on for safety (IROFS) and safety related equipment (SRE). Interface with regulatory agencies regarding 10 CFR 70, Subpart H, issues including integrated safety analysis (ISA), safety basis documentation, IROFS, and management measures.
Major Duties and Responsibilities of Job:
- Participate in ISA teams that use process hazard analysis methods to identify potential accident scenarios and safety controls.
- Provide input to radiological and chemical accident consequences analyses as to location, size, duration of potential fires.
- Develop and/or use computer models and other calculation methods to perform fire and explosion analyses.
- Perform fire risk analysis using established NFS and industry methods, and identify the IROFS needed to prevent or mitigate potential accident scenarios.
- Support the development of safety analysis reports and fire hazard analyses for new and modified processes, systems, and components, including current fire code requirements.
- Review work requests, procedures, and drawings detailing proposed process changes and determine affects to the fire safety basis.
- Assist with/conduct field design verification; hazard analysis walk downs; and periodic inspections/audits/assessments.
- Assist with or perform technical/independent reviewer responsibilities in accordance with applicable program documents and procedures.
- Support preparation and/or revision of ISA summary documents.
- Participate in failure investigations for failed/degraded IROFS and management measures.
- Assist with responses to regulatory requests in defense of safety basis documentation.
Educational Requirements of Job:
- B. S. - Science, Engineering or technical discipline degree OR in lieu of B. S. degree 8 years' experience in safety analysis.
Experience Requirements (Beyond educational or equivalent):
- With B. S. degree, three - five years' experience in fire protection engineering is required to demonstrate ability to apply technical knowledge to plant situations, requirements, and analyses.
- Without B. S. Degree, 11 years' experience in fire protection engineering is required to demonstrate ability to apply technical knowledge to plant situations, requirements, and analyses.
- Post-graduate studies may substitute for some work experience.
As a federal government contractor, BWX Technologies, Inc. and any subsidiaries, affiliates and related entities (“BWXT” or the “Company”) complies with all federal, state, and local laws and customer requirements regarding COVID-19 and other health and safety protocols. As such, all BWXT new hires will be required to adhere to applicable Company COVID-19 requirements within the workplace as a condition of employment.
Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Position requires U.S. Citizenship (with no dual citizenship) and ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance which involves an extensive criminal and financial background investigation and previous employment reference verifications.
BWXT supports diversity and is committed to the concept of Equal Employment Opportunity. We have established procedures to ensure that all personnel actions such as recruitment, compensation, career development, benefits, company-sponsored training and social recreational programs are administered without regard to race, color religion, gender, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or veteran status.