The assistant web editor is an integral part of the team responsible for developing and maintaining Poets & Writers’ website (pw.org), which attracts more than 1.5 million unique visitors per year and is the creative writer’s primary online source for information and advice.
Responsibilities include maintaining a variety of databases, producing select web content, participating in the development of new online resources, and conducting related research.
The position offers a fastidious, knowledgeable, and web-savvy person an opportunity to contribute to the ongoing development of Poets & Writers’ fast-growing online service to creative writers.
This is a full-time position in our New York City office. (Note: Will initially require working remotely; we anticipate returning to our offices later this year.) Benefits include health insurance, paid time off, and more. Reports to the senior web editor.
- Producing select online content, including Clips for the Poets & Writers Theater as well as The Time Is Now, both print and online, and its corresponding e-newsletter.
- Maintaining the databases of small presses and literary magazines.
- Assisting with the maintenance of P&W’s online resources, including the Poets & Writers Directory, Literary Events Calendar, and the databases of MFA programs, literary places, and reading venues.
- Ensuring that assigned content areas are current and accurate and adhere to house style.
- Learning, adapting to, and providing feedback on online features, tools, resources, and databases, and providing input on website enhancements/improvements.
- Improving social media presence, including promoting and integrating select featured online content on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Tumblr accounts.
- Collaborating with editorial and marketing staff to execute strategies to build engagement on pw.org and social media platforms.
- Providing and improving information services with professionalism: responding to written, phone, and e-mail queries from writers, and providing accurate information and outstanding, courteous service.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Excellent research, writing, and communication skills.
- Web savvy; strong experience with maintaining databases.
- Highly organized and outstanding attention to detail.
- Familiarity with the literary marketplace.
- Independent, self-motivated worker.
- At least two years of office experience.
- Passion for contemporary poetry and literary prose.
- Experience with basic HTML, Drupal, and e-newsletters, a plus.
- Experience as a proofreader or fact-checker, a plus.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $43,500.00 per year
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Retirement Plan
- Vision Insurance
- 8 Hour Shift
- Monday to Friday
We're working remotely for the time being; hoping for a return to our office in Lower Manhattan before the end of the calendar year.
- related: 2 years (Required)
- New York, NY 10004 (Required)
Company's Facebook page:
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Temporarily due to COVID-19