Job Title: Associate Research Staff
Department: Research & Development Laboratory
Work Location: Cleveland Cord Blood Center, Cleveland, OH
Reports To: Mary J. Laughlin, MD
- Eligible candidates will join the current Cleveland Cord Blood Center Research and Development Laboratory investigators who are responsible for human cellular and molecular immunology laboratory research studies focused on questions related to the use of umbilical cord blood as a source of therapeutic stem cells for regenerative medicine.
- Ongoing studies in the Cleveland Cord Blood Center Research and Development Laboratory are focused on the development of UCB as a source of stem and immune cells for applications in regenerative medicine including neurodegenerative disease, HIV resistance, and immune modulation in autoimmune diseases.
- Eligible candidates are expected to develop and expand research studies of cord blood derived T regulatory cells to provide safe and effective immune suppression of adverse immune disorders including but not limited to diabetic retinopathy and graft vs. host disease.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- This is an Associate Research Staff position that requires the applicant to be able to conduct independent laboratory research requiring minimal direct supervision.
- This individual will be expected to perform literature searches, generate laboratory data, figures, prepare manuscripts and grant applications with minimal supervision.
- This individual will meet F2F with members of the Cleveland Cord Blood Center Research and Development Laboratory team on a monthly basis including peer Research Associate Staff investigators, Laboratory Director, and Center Executive Director, to review laboratory activities, results of experiments and to plan priorities of future studies.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, skills, and abilities required)
This position requires either:
- PhD in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Immunology, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Pathology, or other directly related scientiﬁc field.
- Early evidence of scientiﬁc accomplishments, including peer-reviewed publications.
- Collaboration and experience with regional academic signature programs and/or biotechnology companies.
- Eligible to work in the United States.
- Full competency in tissue culture methods and standard molecular procedures is required.
- Experience in conducting studies in murine models of human cellular therapy is required.
- Prior experience in stem cell and/or immunology studies is preferred.
- This individual will expectedly collaborate with a number of clinical as well as translational laboratory research investigators at Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, University Hospitals of Cleveland and/or regional biotechnology companies.
- This individual will also supervise and mentor postdoctoral fellows, laboratory technicians, pre-doctoral/medical students, and graduate students in the Cleveland Cord Blood Center Research & Development Laboratory.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities
- General tissue culture activities including cell counting, plating, and cryopreservation in a sterile environment.
- Analyses including FACS, and molecular studies including but not limited to co-immunoprecipitation, gene array, Western blot, siRNA, and/or microRNA analyses.
- Relevant murine study models include NOD.SCID.
- Tissue culture work in a level 3 facility.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- This individual will utilize under standard safe laboratory conditions, human samples such as human blood and bone marrow.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
- Laboratory Research and Development.
- Expected hours of work are minimum full-time.
Ad hoc to scientific meetings.
Job Type: Full-time
- Microbiology: 1 year (Required)
- Pathology: 1 year (Required)
- Cell Biology: 1 year (Required)
- Biochemistry: 1 year (Required)
- Immunology: 1 year (Required)
- Molecular Biology: 1 year (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
Company's Facebook page: