Join our award-winning team at University of Washington Medical Center (UWMC). Among the top medical centers in the United States as rated by U.S. News & World Report's "America's Best Hospitals," UWMC prides itself on compassionate patient care as well as its pioneering medical advances. UWMC is operated by the University of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW’s School of Medicine. The University of Washington is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
UWMC Maintenance has an outstanding opportunity for a full time day shift PLUMBER - JOURNEY LEVEL (PIPE/STEAMFITTER). The responsibilities for the individual in this role are as follows:
Additionally, the person in this role will:
- Inspect, diagnose malfunctions; repair, maintain, and test plumbing, heating, cooling, and other process piping systems; clear plugged waste lines.
- Remove and replace or install all types of plumbing fixtures such as water closets, sinks, drinking fountains, showers, kitchen, laboratory, and other equipment.
- Maintain and repair piping, tanks and pressure vessels for fuels, steam, water, air, gases and draining systems; install, service, repair and adjust pumps, ejectors, valves, dishwashers, stills, heat exchangers, and coils.
- Construct various types of pipe joints for high and low-pressure systems, including threading, brazing, soldering, and welding.
- Cut, fit, fabricate, and assemble a wide variety of articles, materials, and devices including steel, copper, brass, glass, plastic, cast iron, corrosion-resistant pipe, tile, and concrete.
- Read and interpret plans, blueprints, and sketches; construct, layout or plan piping assemblies with respect to walls, structures, and other obstructions, allowing for expansion and contraction and alignment in accordance with pipefitting practice
- Install fittings, hangers, anchors, and guides.
- Drive motor vehicle as required; lead apprentices or helpers as assigned.
- Installation, testing, repair and maintenance of Med Gas System / Fire Protection / and annual testing of back-flow prevention devices.
- As a team member, work with supervisors, plumbers, and other trades in developing, planning and performing maintenance and alterations.
- Communicate with all customers to promote successful customer relations.
- Keep inventory or parts commonly used for repair of various medical and building equipment.
- Work with customer to make recommendations on the purchase of new equipment.
- Work with outside vendors to purchase material and equipment.
- As Built and Verify all new construction and remodel drawings, including contract and inside work. Update and maintain medical gas, drawings and equipment databases.
- Assist in planning and coordinating shutdowns for maintenance, remodel and/or contract construction.
As an employee you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please view this page.
- Washington State Department of Labor & Industries Journey-level Plumber Certification, strongly preferred.
- Washington State Department of Health Backflow Assembly Tester Certification or obtain certification within 120 days of employment.
- Completion of a recognized apprenticeship as a plumber/pipefitter/steamfitter, OR full journey status as a plumber/pipefitter/steamfitter in a union, OR four years' applicable work experience. Vocational training may be substituted for work experience on a year-for-year basis. Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license may be required.
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or firstname.lastname@example.org.