1st Capital Bank is a locally owned and managed community bank headquartered in Monterey County. We provide professional banking, including credit and cash management services to businesses, professionals and residents throughout California’s Central Coast.
We're currently recruiting for a Controller to join our Finance Team in Salinas, CA.
The Controller is responsible for the day to day management of the Bank’s accounting processes and staff, as detailed below. Performs duties in accordance with Federal & State banking laws and regulations, and 1st Capital Bank’s internal policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages and mentors the Bank’s Accounting Department staff
- Responsible for preparation of all internal and external financial reporting and statements under “GAAP”, quarterly earnings releases, Annual Reports and tax compliance reporting
- Prepares all regulatory reporting for the Bank and Holding Company
- Oversees the processes for accounts payable, accruals, prepaid assets, and fixed assets
- Performs accounting for equity compensation, deferred compensation, earnings per share, off-balance sheet liabilities, and borrowings
- Serves as the liaison to Bank’s independent accountants and tax compliance professionals
- Works with clients to source and administer reciprocal deposits (CDARS/ICS)
- Participates in and supports all aspects of the internal audit program
- Responsible for the Bank’s investment portfolio accounting; monthly reconciliation, safekeeping, and managing collateral to maximize borrowing capacity
- Manages pledged collateral for public and local agency deposits including required reporting
- Plays a primary role for the internal control environment including directing the Bank’s monthly reconciliation and certification program
- Serves as the technical expert for new accounting and reporting requirements
- Provides guidance on a wide range of operational accounting matters throughout the Bank.
- Performs various other responsibilities as Assigned
- A minimum of 5 years of prior banking experience in accounting, financial reporting, budgeting/planning, treasury, and income tax preparation
- prior experience as a financial institution Controller or Assistant Controller a plus
- Undergraduate degree in accounting, finance or closely related field required
- CPA license, post-graduate coursework, MBA, or Banking school certification, a plus
- Demonstrated understanding of GAAP, income tax laws, and regulatory reporting is required
- Strong leadership skills with proven results in defining and achieving key initiatives
- Computer proficiency and intermediate excel level proficiency
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
This position includes supervisory responsibilities for one or more positions.
Physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Employee frequently is required to sit for prolonged periods. Employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel or crouch.
- Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to the risk of electrical shock.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
1st Capital Bank offers a generous benefits package that includes: medical/dental/vision, life/ltd insurance, vacation, sick leave, holidays, 401k with employer matching contribution and a professional work environment with career advancement opportunities.
1st Capital Bank is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, protected veteran status, or disability.
Qualified candidates please submit a cover letter and a resume to email addressed in this ad.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- Banking: 5 years (Preferred)
- Accounting: 5 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location