Full Job Description
Job Type: Full-Time, Union
Location: The New York Aquarium
Department: Animal Department
Reports yto: Aquarium Supervisors
Directly coordinates and supervises: Volunteers and other support staff
About Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS):
WCS stands for wildlife and wild places. As the world’s premier wildlife conservation organization, WCS has a long track record of achieving innovative, impactful results at scale. We run programs spanning the entire ocean and more than 3 million biologically critical square miles in nearly 60 countries. We build on a unique foundation: Our reach is global; we discover through best-in-class science; we protect through work on the ground with local and indigenous people; we inspire through our world-class zoos, aquarium, and education programs; and we leverage our resources through partnerships and powerful policy influence. Our 4,000 diverse, passionately committed team members in New York City and around the world work collectively to achieve our conservation mission.
To perform any activity required for the captive life support systems necessary for animal well-being and exhibit appearance at the New York Aquarium.
1. Insure the well-being, feeding and care of collection animals at the Aquarium and the daily care and operation of their enclosures.
2. Participate in the cleaning of the public areas in and around exhibits, aquariums, tanks, and enclosures.
3. Prepare animal diets or other food substances. May assist in both requisition and record keeping of food and other supplies.
4. Inspect exhibits and facilities to ascertain that environmental conditions are appropriate, including filtration, water quality, lighting, temperature, cleanliness, and take necessary action to ensure such.
5. Participate in the design and installation of life support systems.
6. Make minor and emergency repairs necessary to animal management and exhibition and report the need for major repairs.
7. Observe the animals entrusted to his/her care and report promptly on any indication of illness or problems with environmental parameters or life support.
8. Carry out the veterinarian or curator’s instructions for the care of sick animals.
9. Participate in the transfer of animals from one aquarium, cage, pen, zoo, etc. to another.
10. Aid, help and inform the public regarding the Aquarium, its animals and exhibits.
11. Participate in the installation of exhibit materials such as, but not limited to plants, rocks, logs, etc.
12. Implement and participate in animal breeding programs.
13. Participate in the supervision and instruction of subordinate(s) in all phases of menagerie work.
14. Maintain records relating to the animal collection and make reports as required.
15. May participate in Animal/Hospital installations as assigned.
16. May operate vehicles and equipment, as duties require.
17. May accompany curator or other personnel on field trips for animal collection.
18. May use SCUBA to fulfill responsibilities listed above.
19. Provide relief and coverage for a Senior Menagerie Keeper in his/her absence.
20. Enforce the Society’s visitors’ rules and regulations and those of the Department of Parks of the City of New York and of the New York Aquarium.
21. Perform related tasks and duties as required.
22. Contributes to, enlarges, and upholds the Society’s policies toward the Equal Employment Opportunities for women, minorities, veterans, the handicapped, and other protected groups.
1. This position requires SCUBA certification to enable the keeper to fulfill the responsibilities listed above.
WCS is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value. EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled