Full Job Description
Welcome to Western Connecticut Health Network, a comprehensive group of Hospitals, Medical Practices and Home Care designed to know our patients well. WCHN is comprised of Danbury, New Milford, and Norwalk Hospital as well as Western Connecticut Home Care, and Western Connecticut Medical Group. We are united by our mission to improve the health and well-being of those who live in the communities we proudly call home. We believe our dedicated and talented employees are the cornerstone of providing the best in patient care, and we are seeking qualified and compassionate individuals to enhance the delivery of care to the communities we serve.
$2,500 Sign-on Bonus
Responsible for maintaining database of cancer information including the collection, abstraction and follow-up of all cancer cases diagnosed and/or treated at WCHN in accordance with national, state and local standards. Assures that all data is timely, accurate and complete utilizing cancer specific coding to correctly identify cases.
1. Performs all duties related to the cancer registry. Includes case finding, collecting and analyzing data, coding, summarizing and abstracting accurate, detailed demographic, clinical, staging and treatment information from a variety of data sources.
2. Assures and maintains an accurate up-to-date suspense system that identifies all new cancer cases, including diagnostic codes, histology information and demographic information.
3. Ensures and maintains systematic, annual follow-up for all patients in the registry database that meets the requirements of COC. Consistently maintains the registry in accordance with COC guidelines in preparation for survey process every three years.
4. Prepares reports for Cancer Center Leadership, including monthly activity reports, frequency reports, and follow-up reports, quarterly report for the Cancer Committee and any additional reports specific to registry data that are requested.
5. Follows the current coding, abstracting & staging guidelines, per the International Classification of Disease for Oncology, Facility Oncology Registry Data Standards, American Joint Committee on Cancer & Surveillance, Epidemiology & End Results Program.
6. Included in the coding guidelines are: Commission on Cancer, National Cancer Data Base & the State of Connecticut requirements.
7. Performs and assures quality control for the cancer registry. Coordinates monthly meeting with physician advisor; assures that 10% of annually abstracted cases are reviewed and errors corrected.
8. Submits complete and accurate abstracts to the State of Connecticut Cancer Registry electronically on a consistent and scheduled basis including analytic and non-analytic cases.
9. Prepares for specific cancer conferences (tumor boards) as directed by Cancer Center Manager; maintains attendance and presentation documentation for these meetings.
10. Attends and participates in professional conferences, seminars or workshops to keep current on information and data related to the cancer registry and cancer treatment.
11. Participates as a member of the Cancer Committee and achieves the Organization's established expectations with regard to customer service, teamwork, safety, and self-development.
12. Fulfills all compliance responsibilities related to the position.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
14. Availability to work remotely after 8 weeks onsite training.
Required: Critical thining and advanced computer skills (data entry, MS Word and MS Excel required). Proficiency in medical terminology & anatomy and physiology, oncology disease process and IMPAC registry software required, as well as Registry Operation
Minimum Experience: three years
Location: Norwalk Hospital
Work Schedule: Day 8
Exempt from Overtime: Exempt: No
Work Type: Full-Time
- Significant manual skills / motor coord & finger dexterity
- Little or no potential for occupational risk
- Sedentary/light effort. May extert up to 10 lbs. force
- Generally pleasant working conditions.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Qualified Applicants are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or any other classification protected under applicable Federal, State or Local law.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact Human Resources at 203-739-7330 (for reasonable accommodation requests only). Please provide all information requested to assure that you are considered for current or future opportunities.