Special Education Teaching Assistant
Start Date: ASAP
Location: St. Paul, MN
At West Side Summit, our mission is to empower students to find joy in learning and develop the academic efficacy necessary to prepare them for the rigors of a college education and beyond.
West Side Summit seeks a Special Education Teaching Assistant with a desire to work with students with IEPs. Excellent candidates for this position have the desire and drive to support the special education and teaching staff by implementing proactive behavior management techniques to manage student behaviors, modify assignments as necessary, and create a safe learning environment for all students.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to this job posting through indeed.
-Assists licensed staff in classroom management and behavioral interventions, creating an environment that is appropriate for learning.
-Uses proactive behavior management techniques, reinforcing positive behavior, utilizing de-escalation techniques and re-directing inappropriate behavior. Maybe required to utilize physical restraints.
-Assists licensed staff with classroom instruction; instruction toward individual education plan (IEP) and/or individual behavior plan (IBP) goals by working with small groups of students or an individual student.
-Assists licensed staff with the planning, preparation and implementation of differentiated instructions for individual students and groups. Prepares and organizes learning materials.
-Assists licensed staff in the preparation of paperwork and student record keeping. Collects and enters data for progress reports, special education reports and other documents with accuracy and that are consistent with documentation standards and student plans and goals.
-Supervises and monitors students at all times including bus loading, unloading, recess and lunch.
-Data collection of student behavior (e.g., self-control, cooperation) and performance ensuring documentation is accurate and tracks to IEP.
-Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- One of the following is required:
o Two years of study at an institution of higher education (60 credits), OR
o An associate’s degree or higher degree, OR
o Evidence of a score of 460 or higher on the ParaPro assessment
- One to three years work experience with elementary-age and/or special needs population
- Basic computer skills and email
- Proficient in core subject areas
- Able to manage behaviors and intervene in crisis situations
- Good oral, written and interpersonal communication
- Ability to create collaborative and positive relationships.
- Ability to lift, physically contain and withstand unpredictable pushing or pulling by students up to adult size; ability to move quickly to avoid unpredictable physical interactions
- Deep sense of personal responsibility for achieving the school’s mission and a “Whatever It Takes” mindset
- Bilingual in Spanish and English preferred
All West Side Summit staff will understand and uphold the following professional expectations:
- Arrive to school on time and remain for the entirety of the school day.
- Attend and participate in staff and individual professional development as needed, which may include Saturday events and summer orientation in preparation for school opening.
- Attend staff meetings as required.
- Maintain prompt, open and honest communication with all students, parents, and fellow staff members.
All West Side Summit staff evidence the following qualities:
- Alignment with our mission and vision.
- High academic and personal expectations for students, colleagues, and themselves.
- A high level of flexibility and willingness to work in an entrepreneurial environment
- A sense of possibility for ALL students’ futures.
- Persistent effort to seek out feedback and maximize experiences for professional growth.
- Deep level of personal responsibility for student learning and growth.
- Use of data to make decisions that positively impact student learning and growth.
- 8:45am-4pm with ½ hour unpaid lunch, M-F
- Comprehensive benefits package offered
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $18.00 /hour