Executive Assistant to the Media Relations Director
Posting Number: 090219
Posting Date: 09/18/2019
Closing Date: 10/02/2019, 5:00 p.m.
Salary: B19, $42,244 - $60,000/yr.
Number of Vacancies: 1 Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt / Executive Assistant II (0162)
Division: Media Relations
Work Location Address: 611 East 6th Street, Austin, TX 78701
Performs advanced (senior-level) professional assistance work for the Media Relations Division of the Texas Lottery Commission. Work involves coordinating or overseeing high-level administrative operations of the division. Works in a manner that exemplifies and supports the agency’s core values of integrity, responsibility, innovation, fiscal accountability, customer responsiveness, teamwork and excellence. May plan and assign the work of others. Works under limited supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. This position reports to the
Media Relations Director.
- High School graduate or GED equivalent is required. Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university is preferred.
- Five years administrative support work experience is required. (Completion of thirty semester hours of college credit may be substituted for experience on a year-for-year basis.)
- Experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and the Internet is required.
- Typing skills with an accurate speed of 40 wpm is required.
- Experience in the tracking of budgets is required.
- Experience in professional administrative assistance for a director/manager is preferred.
- Experience working with senior-level management is preferred.
- Experience managing multiple priorities, tasks, and functions is preferred.
- Experience using the State of Texas travel rules and regulations is preferred.
- Must be willing to work evenings, weekends, and holidays as workload may require.
- Must be willing to travel up to 10% for job-related purposes as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of accepted business and office management practices.
- Knowledge of budget development and tracking processes.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Skill in the use of standard office equipment and computer software.
- Ability to plan, assign, and coordinate multiple, simultaneous projects and activities related to the Media Relations
- Ability to analyze and solve work-related problems.
Page 1 of 3
- Ability to maintain a high degree of integrity and confidentiality, and to use discretion with highly sensitive information.
- Ability to implement new systems and procedures and to evaluate their effectiveness.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet strict timelines.
- Ability to review and prioritize assignments to meet turnaround times and objectives for the division and the
- Ability to work well in a team and in a deadline-driven work environment.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make sound decisions affection the operation of department functions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Commission management, other Commission employees, vendors, members of the media, and the general public.
- Ability to maintain a pleasant and professional work attitude at all times.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods of time; operate standard office equipment and computer software.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides advanced professional administrative and technical assistance for the Media Relations Director.
- Coordinates and schedules meetings and maintains the Media Relations Director’s calendar and the division’s social media on-call schedule.
- Coordinates, prepares, and distributes daily employee news email.
- Prepares and distributes news clips.
- Distributes news releases to media.
- Prepares, edits, proofreads, and distributes administrative and communications materials, including correspondence and reports.
- Answers and routes incoming calls and coordinates with the division’s answering service.
- Assists in the preparation of special events, including press conferences, check presentations, or other media events.
- Maintains and updates media contact lists.
- May assist with research related to media coverage and industry trends.
- Prepares purchase requests and maintains inventory of supplies for the division.
- Assists the Media Relations Director in the tracking and preparation of division’s fiscal year budget.
- Schedules and coordinates travel arrangements and prepares travel vouchers for the Media Relations Director and the division.
- Updates and maintains the division’s Intranet site.
- Maintains filing and record-keeping systems for division, including records retention.
- Assists in the tracking and updating of policies and procedures for the division.
- Coordinates the agency’s responses to surveys.
- Advises the Media Relations Director on administrative and communications matters and agency activities.
- May assist the Media Relations Director with general human resource management actions.
- Performs related work and special projects as assigned by the Media Relations Director.
HOW TO APPLY:
Each position applied for must have a separate State of Texas Application for Employment submitted referencing the above position number and title by application deadline to:
Texas Lottery Commission
Human Resources Department
Post Office Box 16630
Austin, Texas 78761-6630
This application may be obtained at the Lottery Headquarters, any Lottery Claim Center, or Texas Workforce Commission offices throughout the State. A completed State of Texas Employment application must be received in our Human Resources office or any Lottery Claim Center statewide by 5:00 p.m. of the closing date stated on the job posting.
Applications submitted via express or overnight delivery mail services should be mailed to the following address:
Texas Lottery Commission
Attention: Human Resources
611 East 6th Street
Austin, Texas 78701
Applications may also be submitted electronically through the Texas Workforce Commission's workintexas.com online system by 11:59 p.m. of the closing date stated on the job posting. When a job opening is posted open until filled, it is best to apply as soon as possible, as the posting may close or be placed on-hold at any time with or without prior notification. Applications will NOT be accepted via fax or email.
Applicants are solely responsible for timely delivery of applications by the deadline.
Proud of Our Diversity - Committed to Equal Employment Opportunities
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $42,244.00 to $60,000.00 /year
- Administrative Support: 5 years (Required)
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Parental leave