Imagine being part of one of the most respected human services organizations in the world—a place where your work positively influences the lives of others, a place where you thrive in a values-based environment, a place where you are building a better future for yourself and your community.
Under the supervision of the Sr. Operations Director and in harmony with the mission and purpose of the established policies and goals of the Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA, the Sr. Director of Member Engagement is responsible for all aspects of the member experience for the Victory Family YMCA including new member recruitment and sales, retention and satisfaction of existing members, member and community engagement and connections, and supervision of assigned staff. The Sr. Director of Member Engagement will analyze data and trends as they relate to member recruitment, retention, engagement, and satisfaction to develop, plan, and implement methods and strategies to foster and directly impact positive membership growth and ensure a positive member experience at the Victory Family YMCA.
1. Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
2. Supervisory experience in customer service.
3. Excellent personal computer skills and experience with standard business software.
4. Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
5. Sales experience with demonstrated growth and ability to achieve sales targets preferred.
6. Must be able to recruit, hire, certify and supervise personnel needed for programs.
7. Must be able to provide sound financial judgment and operate a departmental budget.
8. Certification of CPR/First Aid/AED/O2.
9. Complete and maintain required trainings to include but not limited to: New Employee Orientation (NEO), Bloodborne Pathogens, Child Abuse Prevention (CAP), and Sexual Harassment upon hire and annually thereafter.
10. Satisfactory completion of a criminal background check and Child Protective Services check.
1. Support the mission, vision and goals of the YMCA.
2. Promote a professional values-based culture by leading with the values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
3. Lead in a manner that advances our cause to strengthen the foundations of community through programs that focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility.
4. Promote and participate in association task forces, committees and/or leadership teams to promote Branch and Association unity.
5. Promote and participates in YMCA fundraising efforts to include Annual Support, Capital and United Way Campaigns.
6. Identify and target specific markets for opportunity and growth. Work with leadership staff to provide services relative to various market needs.
7. Establish relationships with existing healthy partners and identify potential healthy partners with local businesses, corporations, and community organizations for the purpose of community impact, membership growth, and awareness.
8. Monitor and identify community trends and work with branch leadership to determine service opportunities based on market needs.
9. Review and monitor daily/weekly/monthly membership goals, trends & statistics, enrollment procedures, membership inquiries, appointments, tour conversion, and overall branch quality and service as it relates to member satisfaction.
10. Develop and implement annual membership growth and retention goals and objectives that include monthly and weekly action plans.
11. Responsible for developing and supervision of departmental budget in conjunction with the branch director.
12. Must maintain accurate records in accordance with the policies of the Peninsula Metropolitan YMCA.
13. Maintain a professional attitude at all times and represents the Membership Department as a role model for staff, including upholding and implementing the Leadership Standards and Membership Services Department Expectations.
14. Maintains the Victory YMCA’s webpage and supports association initiatives by creating posts as needed or directed.
15. Monitors Y social media sites, Y-Connect app, etc., as well as implements social media initiatives across designated social media platforms as directed.
16. Maintains branch marketing monitors with up to date program information.
17. Supervise staff and conducts monthly staff meetings and strategy meetings as needed.
18. Interview, hire, train and encourage department staff to develop new skills.
19. Plan, organize, and implement member service open houses and community special events.
20. Develop member participant satisfaction surveys and establish goals and strategies to increase satisfaction ratings annually.
21. Maintain an effective communication system with member services team and branch leadership team to drive member satisfaction and growth.
22. Counsel staff and issues disciplinary report when appropriate.
23. As part of the branch leadership team, follow all guidelines as Director on Duty in ensuring the safety of all members and guests.
24. Assist and actively participate in organized YMCA activities and special events.
25. Carry out other related duties as deemed necessary by the Member Services Department and branch operations to ensure an excellent member experience.
YMCA Competencies (Team Leader):
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Y’s values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. Administer supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
2. Interview, hire, train employees; plan, assign, and direct work; appraising performance, reward and discipline employees, address complaints and resolve problems.
3. Conduct Member Services staff meetings.
4. Supervise and train Member Services staff on database system and activities.
5. Build positive relationship with other Association staff members; share information with appropriate associates; cooperate with others in the Association.
Skills and Ability Requirements:
1. Ability to read, analyze and interpret documents.
2. Ability to respond effectively to inquiries or complaints.
3. Ability to apply mathematical concepts to practical situations. Must be able to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as budget preparation and program planning.
4. Ability to reason and define difficult problems with limited direction as to means and results.
5. Ability to meet the physical demands of this position, which include mobility for touring facilities, travel to conferences, and participating in promotional and special events sponsored by the Association.
6. Ability to coordinate and plan events effectively.
7. Ability and desire to interact with people from all ethnic backgrounds, ages, and lifestyles.
8. Ability to communicate clearly.
Effect on End Result:
1. The membership growth and retention plan for the branch is achieved.
2. A high degree of member satisfaction is achieved as measured by Net Promoters.
3. A positive image of the YMCA is portrayed to members, staff, volunteers and the community.
4. A pleasant and comfortable working environment is maintained for all staff.
5. Relationships are strengthened through intentional interactions.
6. The facility will be safe, clean and an enjoyable place as measured by Q Checks and Risk Management Audits.
7. Superior quality standards are met as evidenced by department Platinum Score Results.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. It is understood that the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties if requested by the supervisor. Job descriptions are reviewed periodically and may be revised if deemed necessary. This job description is not a written or implied contract.
Excellent benefits, including 12% retirement upon meeting the requirements of the National YMCA Retirement Fund. Includes YMCA Adult Membership.