About Mettler Toledo
Working at Mettler Toledo means you are impacting the world in important ways. Our precision measuring devices span the world's laboratories, production facilities, and retail stores. We design, manufacture and service instruments that detect, measure, and weigh - from the infinitely small to the largest of vehicles or airplanes. Working with us means food products are free of contaminants and substances are measured to the highest accuracy requirements for use across the largest manufacturing and pharmaceutical firms.
Mettler Toledo Rainin manufactures pipettes, one of the most basic tools used in every type of chemistry laboratory and many kinds of biological laboratories. Rainin's pipettes consistently rank among the top premium pipette brands in North America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
Our Opening and Your Responsibilities
Rainin Instrument, a subsidiary of Mettler Toledo, is looking for an experienced and self-motivated Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our Engineering/Research & Development team in our Oakland, CA headquarters. This position will work as part of a project team and is responsible for leading the research, development, and engineering of new and existing products. This position reports directly to an Engineering Manager.
The ideal candidate will use his/her extensive Mechanical engineering experience to:
- Demonstrate the ability to be the lead Mechanical Engineer on a project.
- Design, develop and test mechanical or electromechanical systems.
- Manage and participate in engineering projects, primarily in the development of new products: Evaluate project progress and results to assure that goals are met; Coordinate with all affected parties for testing, prototyping and vendor activity.
- Management of multiple projects simultaneously in various states of design and development.
- Create detailed, accurate technical data packages; work with support personnel to create schematics, part/assembly drawings, and Bills of Material.
- Use computer aided design and analysis techniques as inherent activities of development.
- Conduct internal design reviews for performance, manufacturability, and serviceability with cross-functional project teams, and coordinate with outside vendors.
- Use engineering skills and experience to become a major technical contributor in area of expertise.
- Provide support for all stages of the product development lifecycle: R&D, Manufacturing, and Field Service/Support.
- Assures product quality by designing testing methods; testing finished products and system capabilities.
- Investigate new technologies and concepts for future product development, or product improvements.
- Provide clear communication for team members to facilitate the completion of defined goals, objectives and timelines; may supervise, the efforts of other team members on a project basis.
- Drive projects to completion with agreed-upon performance, delivery, and cost targets.
What You Need to Succeed
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, MS preferred.
Minimum 7 years of experience (5 years and MSME) in related industry such as precision lab-grade liquid handling systems, laboratory instrumentation for the pharmaceutical or life sciences industry, or high volume precision hand-held devices.
Work experience with a strong focus on new product design and project management
Hands-on experience with prototyping, assembly, and troubleshooting
Experience with using computer-aided analytical tools such as FEA software a plus
Experience in high volume injection molding and associated materials a plus
Experience with ISO 9000 and Product Life Cycle Management a plus
Our Offer to You
Medical, dental and vision care coverage and a 401(k) savings plan with company matching – all starting on date of hire
Tuition reimbursement, educational matching gift program, perks and discounts
All the benefits you would expect from a global leader such as paid time off, flexible spending, short-and long-term disability, basic life insurance, business travel insurance, Employee Assistance Program, and domestic partner benefits
Global market strength and worldwide leadership in weighing
A brand name that is identified worldwide with precision, quality, and innovation
Thousands of patents, design and innovation awards across the Mettler Toledo and Rainin brands
Global recognition for the quality of our pipettes which accurately measure and transfer liquids in basic research, clinical, and industrial laboratories.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We give consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other protected classification. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
Mettler Toledo endeavors to make www.mt.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact us at EEO@mt.com.