The lead Civil Engineer is responsible for all aspects of Civil Engineering on assigned projects. Projects are typically large industrial facilities located in North America. The Lead Civil Engineer collaborates with Project Management, Lead Engineers from all disciplines, and construction partners to ensure a well-coordinated, quality design. Responsibilities of the Lead Civil Engineer include but are not limited to the following:
- Plan, schedule, and analyze scope, staffing and budgeting for all Civil Engineering & Design activities
- Collaborate with Kiewit Construction partners during project planning and execution to develop optimal project designs and schedules
- Work closely with the Estimating department to develop preliminary design documents, project costs and proposal documents for prospective projects.
- Independently evaluate, select and apply engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria to site development projects.
- Develop design for an assigned system that may include analysis, calculations, research, selection, layout, etc. necessary to develop required design documents.
- Utilize knowledge of departmental design standards and applicable engineering codes to review prepared drawings and documents for conformance; work with civil designers to ensure quality procedures are followed.
- Coordinate design efforts with all project personnel in all disciplines and departments.
- Oversee design efforts executed entry and mid-level employees.
- Assist with training and development, review work progress and results and provide feedback and recommendations as needed.
- Utilize civil engineering software packages and computer-aided drafting software in accordance with industry codes and standards.
- Collaborate with business support groups to provide expertise and support business needs.
- Provide recommendations and suggestions on designs as well as company processes and standards.
- Work closely with Kiewit construction partners in a collaborative manner to ensure total project success.
- Knowledge of basic spreadsheet, database, word processing programs and basic computer operation
- Experience with computer assisted engineering and design software, preferably Autocad Civil 3D, MicroStation, Geopak and/or drainage calculation softwares
- Five to fifteen plus year’s industry experience in a design function
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering in a Civil Engineering program from an ABET accredited four-year college or university program
- Professional Engineering License (P.E.) in home state and ability to obtain NCEES record and/or additional State Licenses to support the business
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2017 revenues of $8.7 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 22,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
- Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
- Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
- 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent
- Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
- We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.