The Staff Scientist I position is a junior career research position. The position reports to the Principal Investigator and conducts research of significant scientific value in basic or translational sciences. The incumbent will serve in a research and development role in scientific area and will bring specialized skills, knowledge and experience to research programs or core laboratories. The individual develops and directs the design and conduct of experiments and assists in the management of resource allocations and daily laboratory activities. The staff scientist trains technical staff, students, fellows and physicians in laboratory procedures and assists with data management and analysis. The encumbered may develop and participate educational programs and teaching assignments and assist the principal investigator in writing of grant applications and publications.
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
Medical Doctor (M.D.)
Specific Requirements and Preferences
MS degree with 3 years of relevant work experience .
Minimum Work Experience
Specific Requirements and Preferences
At least two to four years of progressive specialized post-doctoral experience. (Required)
Next-Generation sequencing, bioinformatics, molecular genetics
Commitment to Research
1. Conduct research and development of new Next-Generation sequencing clinical assays.
2. Assist in developing publications for peer-reviewed, scientific, quality and management journals.
Responsible Conduct of Research
1. Consistently demonstrate adherence with the standards for the responsible conduct of research.
2. Maintain confidentiality of data as required.
3. Plan, conduct, and manage research projects within the federal and institutional regulations and policies under the direction of the laboratory director(s).
4. Responsible for appropriate use of funds.
5. Comply with all annual job-related training requirements.
Conduct of Research
1. Use accepted methods and techniques, solves well-defined problems and performs specific and limited portions of broader projects, under technical guidance of the principal investigator and the senior staff scientist.
2. Conduct experiments in the laboratory that include developing new methods, taking measurements and recording observations, collecting, compiling and processing data, and analyzing results.
3. Interact in a collaborative manner with other team members to accomplish organizational goals; may provide ideas to improve efficiency at group level; network primarily within own technical peer group.
Organizational Accountabilities (Staff)
1. Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
1. Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
2. Partner with all team members to achieve goals
3. Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
1. Contribute to a positive work environment
2. Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
3. Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
4. Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
1. Use resources efficiently
2. Search for less costly ways of doing things
1. Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
2. Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
3. Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
4. Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
5. Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
6. Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
Primary Location: District of Columbia-Washington
Work Locations: Sheikh Zayed Campus 111 Michigan Avenue Washington 20010
Organization: COE Hospital-Based Specliaties
Regular / Temporary: R (Regular)
Position Status: FT - Full-Time
Work Schedule: M-F
Job Posting: Sep 16, 2019, 1:08:48 PM