The Director of Retail provides direction of all activities pertaining to the region’s production and sales, including support and leadership to individual store locations within the Northwest Texas of Goodwill Industries; ensures that the highest quality of customer service is provided at all retail locations; provides administrative support in areas of compliance and procedures. The position reports directly to the CEO and consults with Director of Workforce Development, Human Resources, and administration in matters relating to job function.
This is a field operational job with travel to Goodwill Industries retail stores and warehouses.
This job description is intended to provide a high-level of general requirements for this position. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Other duties not listed here may be assigned as necessary to ensure proper operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
All job functions are to be performed following safety guidelines and regulations
- Oversight and direction of retail and e-commerce stores in Lubbock, Plainview, Wolfforth and Amarillo; as well as any additional retail store(s) to be added within our 45-county region. Promotes the general goals and objectives for Goodwill Industries of Northwest Texas.
- Assist in recruiting, training, and developing a highly motivated and effective team of a Retail Mentor, General Managers, Assistant Managers and store staff.
- Provides guidance, leadership and coaching to General Managers and Retail Mentor.
- Directs a production processes that minimizes waste and double handling, has an orderly work flow and practices effective sorting and pricing procedures while operating within an established budget.
- Responsible for the development and implementation of the agency’s donated goods and sales strategies leading to the profitability of the total retail operations; and for providing general direction, through the functional Store Managers, for the on-going operations of all retail stores and e-commerce, excluding the Pound Store.
- Direct a profitable E-Commerce business, implementing individual production quotas and best practices. Engage in the shopgoodwill.com community for best practices. Operate within budget requirements.
- Work with the Director of Operations and CEO to assure proper maintenance, repair, and renovation of existing facilities and other assets to provide safe, clean, and attractive sales environments. Ensure standardized merchandising expectations are met.
- Work with CEO, Goodwill Industries International (GII) and other key staff to identify and implement new sites for stores and/or donation centers to increase Goodwill’s footprint in accordance to the agency’s strategic plan.
- Analyze and monitor expenditures and other financial information to ensure that expenses are consistent and approved. Develop budgets for increasing revenue, safeguarding margin and improving services. Recommend expenditures needed in order to increase efficiency and services of responsible functional areas.
- Consult with Director of Workforce Development and Human Resources regarding employee relation issues.
- Monitor turnover and review termination (exit) interviews to assess recruitment and retention issues and enhance job retention strategies and procedures.
- Actively engage with the leadership team, participate in professional development activities and committees as requested by the CEO. Model high level engagement, leadership, teamwork, work ethic and a positive disposition.
- Provide excellent customer service to both external and internal customers.
- Engage GII in consultative retail visits, preparation for CARF Certification and the implementation of Kaizen in all stores.
- Other duties as assigned by the CEO.
Education and/or Experience:
This position requires a minimum of three years of supervisory experience and at least five years of retail experience. Previous experience with Goodwill Retail Stores is preferred. A college degree is preferred, but not required. This position will directly supervise 7-10 General Managers and will indirectly supervise retail personnel.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Experience working effectively and respectfully with people with disabilities and/or barriers to employment.
- Knowledge and skill in operating standard office equipment (phone, copier, fax, etc.) and personal computer with Microsoft Office products.
- Must have valid driver’s license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Computer work and data entry.
- Travel, including drive time of 2-4 hours.
- Operational store visit and new store openings will require overnight travel.
- This position is of light demand, frequently exerting up to 50 pounds of force to lift, carry, push, pull and move objects.
- Work involves walking or standing for periods of time.
Salary Range: $50,000-$63,000 Depending on experience
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $50,000.00 to $63,000.00 /month
- Management or Supervisor Role: 3 years (Required)
- Retail: 5 years (Required)
- Retail or Non-Profit Management: 2 years (Preferred)
- College Degree (Preferred)
- Texas Driver's License (Required)