A Teacher Assistant helps the Special Education Teacher in providing quality education in a language enriched environment. The Teacher Assistant supports the teacher by following his/her lead to teach life skills, socialization skills, and pre-academics to children ages 6 weeks to 5 years.
Essential job duties:
1. Follows lesson plans and assists with goals established with the team.
2. Teach new pre academic skills in coordination with/at the request of the Special Education Teacher
3. Participates in the regularly scheduled meetings with the teacher/team/supervisor (ie: team meetings, supervision meetings, full faculty meetings and staff development trainings, etc.).
4. Prepares any materials needed for the classrooms (ie: educational materials to use during lessons, art projects, cooking lessons, etc.)
5. Assists with behavior management programs that are implemented for the class and specific to individual students’ needs
6. Assists teacher in keeping the classroom space organized and clean.
7. Assists teacher in any record keeping tasks (ie: attendance, goal tracking, injury reports, etc.)
8. Performs all other job-related duties as assigned by classroom teacher and/or supervisor
9. Follows all safety regulations set forth by BVS, OCFS, and NYSED (in regards to supervision, safety, cleaning, classroom maintenance, etc.)
Minimum Degree Required: High School Diploma
Minimum Experience Required: 1-2 years
Required License/Registration/ Certification: New York State Teacher Assistant Certification (Level I, II, or III)