Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE:
GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
USA TODAY has an immediate opening for a digital books editor who will handle planning and editing books editorial content. The ideal candidate will have experience with digital news teams operating on a 24-7 cycle and be comfortable in an environment that uses data to inform editorial judgment. Flexible hours are required, and this position is located in McLean, Va., at USA TODAY Network headquarters (remote work will be considered as well).
Specific duties include:
- Plan and edit daily books coverage for USA TODAY’s national audience across platforms including digital and social.
- Serve as the network liaison with all USA TODAY Network books writers and editors; surface network content to USAT (local to national) and let the network editors know what would be of interest to their audiences (national to local).
- Grow the national audience of USA TODAY books content.
- Work collaboratively with marketing and advertising departments to position books content for maximum exposure and profitability.
- Work collaboratively with the USA TODAY LIFE NOW team on trending and breaking entertainment news.
- Work collaboratively with the USA TODAY LIFE social media editor on social media plans for books content.
- Help as needed with creating, editing and promoting additional entertainment, lifestyle, travel and parenting content for USA TODAY LIFE.
- Uphold the highest standards of journalistic integrity and credibility.
- Lead planning and oversee execution of department specific content strategies.
- Develop and execute innovative editorial approaches to books content.
- Grow digital audience and engagement via targeted content.
- Coordinate and communicate with USA TODAY editors, the USA TODAY news hub and other Network properties.
- Have expert knowledge of audience engagement tools and data.
- Partner on/execute social strategy and plans.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or any other subject in a liberal arts field from an accredited institution.
- 5 years of experience working as a digital-first journalist at a major news or entertainment publication.
- Experience working with freelance writers.
- Experience working in industries undergoing substantial change and transformation.
- Demonstrated strong competitive instincts and intellectual curiosity.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages. plus a cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve written, produced, or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.