Tecogen Inc. has an immediate opening for a full time Generator Technician in the Buchanan area of New York. Tecogen Technicians work on our energy-efficient line of cogeneration and chiller systems, each powered by a General Motors 454 cubic inch engine fueled by natural gas.The ideal candidate will have a strong electro-mechanical background and preference will be given to applicants who posses skills, experience, and/or motivation that best aligns with the expected long-term responsibilities outlined below.
Regular responsibilities include daily travel in a company service vehicle to dispersed customer locations to perform:
- Preventative engine maintenance at prescribed service intervals, inclusive of basic oil and filter changes, and replacement of common tune-up components.
- Major system repairs such as removal and installation of cylinder heads, complete engines, electrical generators, chiller compressors, heat exchangers, and exhaust catalysts.
- Engine diagnostic tests such as compression ratio, cylinder leak down, and exhaust emissions sampling.
- Troubleshooting of control systems and AC (3 phase and single phase)/DC electrical components including malfunctioning sensors, switches, relays, contactors, actuators and control valves using functions available on digital voltmeters, current clamp-on meters, and the diagnostic capabilities of Tecogen’s embedded control systems.
- General wipe down and clean-up of equipment.
- Write-up of accurate Field Service Reports, time sheets, expense reports, and fuel card reports.
- Extensive communication with fellow field service technicians, administrative support personnel, Tecogen product specialists, the Area Manager, and customer representatives.
All applicants must:
- Have the ability to understand and follow operations and maintenance manuals, including electrical diagrams, and operations & maintenance manuals.
- Feel comfortable in a field service role where site-to-site travel is often through heavy traffic congestion.
- Be comfortable PC users with Microsoft Office Word and Excel applications, sending and receiving emails, saving and opening documents to organized file locations.
- Hold a valid driver’s license and have a good driving record.
- Be friendly internally and externally, with strong communications skills.
- Be motivated to become self-sufficient and educated on Tecogen products and troubleshooting techniques.
- Have a personality that can adapt to day-to-day surprises that require on-the-fly adaptation to daily plans and overtime as needed.
- Be able to regularly lift and maneuver objects weighing 40 lbs, such as cylinder heads and five gallon containers of oil.
The successful applicant will report to the Tecogen Area Supervisor. Most training will occur in the field where the equipment is located and supplemented by highly experienced support staff that is always available for guidance. Field Service Technicians are provided with a company vehicle and tools. Tecogen offers a comprehensive benefits package including full health and dental insurance, company matched 401k, PTO and holidays, overtime, tuition reimbursement, short and long-term disability and life insurance.
Successful employees have come from automotive and stationary power mechanic backgrounds, electricians with mechanical aptitude, and HVAC industries, among others.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Type: Full-time
- electro-mechanical: 1 year (Preferred)