Founded in 1972, Covenant House is the largest charity across the hemisphere serving homeless, trafficked, and runaway youth. Located in 30 cities across six countries, Covenant House offers a broad range of essential services to help youth move from poverty to opportunity and from homelessness to hope. These services include emergency shelter, transitional and supported housing, food, clothing, legal aid, medical care, educational services, job training and placement services, childcare, and parenting support programs.
We are seeking a dynamic and dedicatedindividual to work on the growth of our site as our Director of Finance & Administration. S/he will serve in a multi-functional role: financial, facilities, and administrative.
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer, Covenant House Illinois
The Director of Finance and Administration will oversee day-to-day operations in several key areas of the organization, including finance, administration, purchasing, facilities. Reporting to the CEO, the Director of Finance and Administration will work closely with the Covenant House Illinois leadership team and other staff to ensure the smooth operation of the office and facilities, compliance with financial policies, and accurate maintenance of financial and administrative records. This position will work closely with Covenant House International on all finance and HR related activities.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Oversee accounts payable and receivable processes.
· Prepare credit card and petty cash reconciliations.
· Prepare monthly, quarterly, and year-end financial statements and account reconciliations.
· Ensure proper accounting of all organizational activity in accordance with US GAAP.
· Prepare annual and re-forecasted budgets by department and for the organization as a whole.
· Manage organizational expenditures in accordance with approved budgets.
· Prepare and maintain cash flow forecasts.
· Review general ledger on a monthly and quarterly basis for accuracy.
· Coordinate month-end closing.
· Steward organization’s bank accounts in coordination with other CHIL staff.
· Manage annual audit and tax return processes to ensure timely filing of financial statements and all other regulatory filings.
· Present financial results, budgets, and projections at quarterly board of directors meetings and monthly finance meetings with Covenant House International.
· Prepare budgets and results reports for grant administration.
· Develop and implement finance strategies in coordination with the Development Department for the capital campaign.
· Develop and implement financial policies and procedures maintaining a proper level of internal control.
· Manage lease and all communications with property management.
· Manage tenant leases and communications at new facility.
· Manage vendor contracts, including sourcing and project management.
· Act as liaison with IT support both internally and externally.
· Manage cleaning, repairs, and maintenance programs and all contractors providing services.
· Oversee design and renovation of new facility, including coordinating the work of the General Contractor, Architect, and Owners Representative.
· Oversee sourcing and procurement of new furniture, fixtures, and equipment for new facility.
· Oversee operations transition to new facility.
· Lead and collaborate site human resource functions including: recruitment, hiring, onboarding, benefits enrollment, payroll approvals, performance management, and offboarding.
· Develop and maintain organizational record keeping processes.
· Administer strategic planning process and individual goal tracking.
· Assist Development Department in tracking donations.
· Provide training and staff development as needed.
· Provide operational support for day-to-day activities and special events.
· Facilitate order and purchase of supplies and other goods.
· Excellent organizational, administrative, and planning skills
· Collaborative work style; comfortable interacting with all levels in the organization
· High-energy, highly-organized, collegial team player with a positive can-do attitude
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Excellent and proactive problem-solving skills
· Good judgment and common sense
· Ability to prioritize multiple tasks
· Ability to work independently
· Great customer service skills
· 8+ years professional experience either in finance, accounting, project management, operations, non-profit/small business management or a combination
· Bachelor’s degree
· Professional certifications a plus
· Experience working in a fast-paced environment and delivering quality results
· Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
· Ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds
· Possess a current Driving License and have a clean driving record
· Pass federal, state and local background investigation
- This position operates primarily in a professional office environment that is accessible. Some travel to off-site locations in the Chicago metro area is required. Some of those sites may not be accessible.
- This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, filing cabinets.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to operate office equipment. The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds.
- This is a full-time position. Evening and weekend work are occasionallyrequired.
- Workplace is a smoke- and drug-free environment.
- Equal Opportunity Employer. Decisions and criteria governing the employment relationship with all employees are made in a non-discriminatory manner, without regard to race, ethnicity, creed, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, citizenship status, military service and/or marital status, order of protection status, handicap, disability, or any other factor determined to be unlawful by federal, state, or local statutes.
- Submit cover letter with where you heard of the position, resume and salary range requirements to: chjobs @ covenanthouse.org
- Please write Dir of Fin & Admin, your Last Name, First Name in the subject line of your e-mail. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. No phone calls please. Position begins as soon as possible.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $1.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance