GENESIS HEALTHCARE SYSTEM
In order to fulfill our Mission of providing Compassionate, Quality HealthCare, all employees of Genesis HealthCare System must be committed to living the Genesis Mission and Genesis values of Compassion, Trust, Innovation, and Excellence. All employees must regard themselves as an "owner" of Genesis and keep our patients at the center of everything we do - always .
Position Details :
FT 30-40 BENEFITS. FTE:
Genesis Hospital - Maple Campus
Overview of position:
The purpose of this position is to ensure legal and ethical compliance, health data integrity and appropriate release of protected health information and medical records. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring accuracy and completeness of medical records that come through the Health Information Department.
1. Maintains accurate and detailed record of all documents that enter the HIM department.
2. Reviews paper records and applies patient identifiers in preparation of scanning.
3. Scans indexes and performs data quality control on all paper documents prior to entry into Epic, including medical records and EOB’s.
4. Demonstrates understanding and compliance of state, federal, HFAP and medical staff regulations.
5. Assists clients with access to information involving confidentiality by obtaining proper authorization for release of information and explaining the release of information process to the customer, in accordance with state, federal and HIPAA regulation.
6. Responds to STAT requests from ER, nursing units, other departments and physician’s offices for information.
7. May provide assistance in training of other staff in computer applications and department procedures.
8. Verifies patient identifiers to ensure correct filling of patient information.
9. Understands medical legal implications related to accurate entry of scanning documents within the electronic health record.
10. Responsibility for daily chart retrieval process.
11. Other duties as assigned.
1. High School graduate or equivalent required.
2. Previous HIM, medical record, or IT experience preferred, but not required.
3. Must have knowledge of medical terminology.
4. Knowledge of state, federal and HIPAA regulatory requirements.
5. Must be able to work independently and demonstrate initiative.
6. Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills, sound oral communication skills are needed to speak with poise, confidence and control to an extensive variety of customers.
7. Must be detail oriented and possess excellent prioritization and organizational skills.
8. Excellent computer operations skills and working knowledge of office software products.
9. Strong analytical and problem- solving skills.
Patient Centered Care & Behavioral Expectations at Genesis HealthCare System:
1. Living the Genesis Mission, Vision and Values:
- Performs work in a manner that is quality focused.
- Treats patients, co-workers, visitors and volunteers with courtesy, compassion, empathy and respect.
- Results oriented and focused on achievement of objectives.
- Acknowledges and responds to the diversity of people and the situation.
- Encourages peers (others) to be owners of change.
- Always makes the effort to anticipate and exceed customer needs and expectations.
- Possesses the ability to engage others with patience and understanding.
- Acts in a manner that creates positive first and lasting impressions.
- Demonstrates the ability to own issues until they are resolved.
2. Patient Centered Care (patients/families, physicians, co-workers, all other internal/external customers)
- Introduces self and role…connects with everyone.
- Communicates effectively (i.e. advising others of actions, pertinent information, time durations, etc.) and asks for feedback.
- Asks for and anticipates needs and concerns of others.
- Maintains a positive work environment for staff and a healing environment for patients (i.e. safe, clean, quiet, etc.)
- Maintains the dignity and privacy of each person; manages confidential/sensitive information appropriately.
- Responds to requests in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Exits patient/customer encounters courteously, asking if there are additional needs that can be addressed.
3. Promotes Patient and Employee Safety
Working Conditions :
- Demonstrates safe Patient Handling (i.e. transfers, transport, care administration, nutrition, medication, etc.)
- Demonstrates safe Materials Handling (i.e. appropriate use and disposal of chemicals, infectious wastes, etc.)
- Demonstrates appropriate knowledge of Infectious Disease precautions and use of proper protective equipment.
- Demonstrates Slips/Trips and Falls Awareness.
- Actively contributes to maintaining a safe, clean and quiet environment.
T he physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Th is description reflects in general terms the type and level of work performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive, nor portray the specific duties of any one incumbent.
Thank you for your interest in employment at Genesis. Genesis is committed to being an equal opportunity employer. Selection of applicants for employment is based only on qualifications and the requirements of a specific job.