The Dominion Energy Charity Classic is a PGA TOUR Champions tournament for eligible professional golfers age 50 and over. It is the first of three playoff events to determine the champion of the season-long Charles Schwab Cup competition. The event will take place October 14-20, 2019 at The Country Club of Virginia’s James River Course.
The Dominion Energy Charity Classic is managed by the PGA TOUR. The TOUR seeks to hire full-time, temporary staff to augment the tournament staff in the Richmond, VA market. These temporary positions provide on-the-job experience in the sports and event management field. The tournament has numerous activities occurring throughout event week. Temporary staff manage many of these elements under the guidance of the tournament staff and thus play an integral role in the success of the tournament.
The Operations Intern is responsible for assisting the Operations Manager with planning and logistics for staging the event. It is based in downtown Richmond to start and will transition to the tournament office on-site at The Country Club of Virginia as the tournament approaches.
Daily job responsibilities
- Coordinate delivery, proper placement and service schedule with portable restroom vendor.
- Coordinate projected electrical, generator, HVAC and cable layout necessary for all hospitality locations, media center and other locations.
- Manage local fuel company relationship; handling fuel tank delivery and fuel deliveries
- Assist with placement and set up of all office trailers
- Oversee the Tournament’s Fan Zone including Expo clients and food trucks
- Coordinate golf cart inventory, delivery and pickup; create intake plan and work with volunteer committee tournament week to ensure proper allocation of carts
- Develop credential access boards that illustrate ability to access various areas
- Maintain shuttle schedule from each off-site parking location
- Manage television inventory and number of video boards; coordinate delivery, setup and take down of inventory
- Coordination of operational aspects of catering/concessionaire setup and compound location
- Create and utilize a log for each shipment prior to tournament week; assist volunteer committee during tournament week to ensure proper delivery of shipments
- Develop fencing plan (locations and dates) for BOH areas, POLs, Driving Range, Generators, TV Compound and other areas with the help of the Operations Manager
- Work closely with the Tournament’s title sponsor, Dominion Energy, and host club, The Country Club of Virginia
- Oversee any forklift needs the tournament may have. Tournament will provide proper forklift certifications.
- Graduating senior or graduate student in an accredited four-year college or university or currently possess a Bachelor’s degree
- Sports Marketing/Management, Marketing, Management, Communications or comparable liberal arts majors preferred
- Eligible to work in the United States; International students must have all visas and employment authorizations
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Public relations skills and ability to communicate with staff, volunteers, corporate clients, club members and general public
- Must take initiative, operate proactively and think independently in project management and problem solving
- Capacity to work on several projects simultaneously
- Self-discipline with schedule and time management
- Organization, attention to detail and follow-through are crucial
- Ability to stand for lengthy periods and to lift/move boxes of supplies potentially weighing 50 pounds
Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
$11.00/hour + overtime when applicable
August 19 – November 1, 2019
20 hours per week for the weeks of August 19, August 26 and October 28; 40 hours per week September 2 – October 25 with overtime when applicable; evening and weekend hours will be necessary as tournament time approaches