Interested in Infrastructure as Code, Dev Ops principles or Engineering? This space is for you. You will learn new things on this team!
Wavefront by VMware is a next-generation SaaS solution that gives Engineering teams next generation visibility into the technology that underpins revenue generating web-scale applications. Wavefront customers include Lyft, Box, Workday, Intuit, Groupon, DoorDash, and Postmates.
Wavefront is redefining how Operations and Engineering teams use systems telemetry and application data. Our massively scalable approach was pioneered at Google, refined at Twitter, and involves real-time processing of high-fidelity host and application metrics. Using Wavefront, developers and technical operations teams can ask any question of their systems and applications with answers in real-time. The Wavefront platform enables Engineering to spend less time on unplanned ops and therefore as much time as possible on feature velocity.
VMware is looking for talented and self-motivated people who are driven by demonstrating and delivering tangible value to prospects quickly. You'll get to work with a really exciting, fun SaaS product with engaged and smart customers. This is a very hands on, technology driven role requiring the rare combination of a true passion for evangelizing technology with the skills to get in the weeds and help our customers identify and solve use cases with our service.
It’s important to understand that we deliver an IT integration experience. No one solution could ever do it all, including ours. Whether it is an out of the box integration for collecting data from a DNS server, or connecting a storage plugin from a hardware vendor, our customers choose us because we work well with others. On this team, we don’t write production code, but we can and will make tweaks to existing integrations or write quick and simple scripts. Being the glue is important.
The future team member will spend the majority of his or her time in front of customers on the West coast of the USA. Many meetings are done through Skype and WebEx as well. When not with customers, supporting the extended team and staying in touch with the business units writing our software will be critical. They want our feedback.
Finally, members of this team will also be responsible for educating other people at VMware, as well as our partners and customers. Being on this team means sharing what you’ve learned from time to time.
- Evangelize VMware’s strategy delivering compelling demos and presentations.
- Provide expert technical support for opportunities involving Wavefront by VMware.
- Manage and execute successful POCs.
- Maintain deep technical knowledge of Cloud solutions, industry directions and trends.
- Maintain working knowledge of peer and competitor products, both commercial and open source.
- Provide consultative support to the Field and Partner Training organization for development of deep technical GTM training material and positioning.
- Work collaboratively with Product Management, Technical Marketing and Engineering during the development, launch and continuing refinement of VMware products.
- Document best practices & architectural references in developing and deploying VMware Cloud solutions.
Professional Qualifications/Ideal Experience
- 2+ years of technical pre-sales experience.
- Experience working with customers on a highly technical product .
- Unix/Linux proficiency is required. You don’t need to be a sys admin, but, you must be comfortable on the command line.
- Experience with DevOps methodologies and tooling such as: Jenkins, Puppet, Chef, Ansible, Salt, Terraform, Docker, Kubenetes, Github etc. We don’t need you to know them all but our customer base is using these kinds of tools (and more) and familiarity with some of them would be a big help.
- Experience in a related space such as log analytics, APM etc. E.g. Splunk/Sumo Logic/App Dynamics/New Relic/DataDog/SignalFX would be helpful.
- Be comfortable with change as an opportunity to thrive.
- Intermediate or higher programming skills in a least one programming language: Python, Java, Ruby etc. preferred.
- Willingness to travel, as needed, though not likely to exceed 50%.
- Enthusiastic, self-starter with a charismatic personality.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral are required.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, related field or equivalent experience.