Summit County Executive Ilene Shapiro
Medical Examiner’s Office (AFSCME Local 1229)
Executive, Medical Examiner's Office
Full Time/Part Time
Monday – Friday
8:15 a.m. – 4:15 p.m.
Will be required to work some Saturdays on a rotating schedule
Under direction, receives bodies into, and releases bodies from morgue, assists pathologists by eviscerating cadavers, prepares reports, secures, and transfers valuables/evidence/specimen/histology samples, cleans work areas after use. Utilizes Personal Protective Equipment(PPE) appropriately. Performs other related duties as required.
Any combination of training and work experience which indicates possession of the skills, knowledge and abilities listed below.
Completion of secondary education, supplemented by coursework in biology, anatomy, or equivalent combinations of training and/or experience.
Strong communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, County employees, government agencies, outside agencies, and the general public.
- Effective time management and attention to detail skills.
- Knowledge of evidence collection and transfer techniques.
- Knowledge of blood and body fluid precautions.
- Ability to operate personal computer, facsimile, copier, digital cameras.
- Must secure and maintain a favorable background investigation from Ohio BCI.
- Must acquire and maintain a valid Ohio driver’s license.
Knowledge of human anatomy or completion of biology coursework.
Pre-Employment Testing Requirements
Criminal Background Check, Pre-employment Drug and Alcohol Testing
Working conditions are in a morgue with exposure to temperature variations, damp-wet surfaces, decomposing decedents, infectious diseases, and unfavorable odors.
Physical requirements include frequent movement/manipulation of 100-250 pounds from surface to surface; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity. Subject to smelling, handling, walking, sitting, standing, bending, reaching, and twisting to perform essential functions.
- May be asked to assist with educational activities.
- Assist with inventory of supplies, evidence, and tissue specimens.
- Equipment utilized includes oscillating saw, scalpel, scissors, forceps, syringes