Specialty Transportation Inc, is seeking a qualified mechanics to maintain our fleet in excellent operating condition. Our maintenance facility located in Berlin is to be staffed with 2 mechanics. We also like our mechanics to obtain a Commercial Drivers License in order to be able to test drive buses. This is paid training if you are hired.
Pay is based strictly on experience and abilities. The candidate MUST have tools.
We offer paid holidays, vacation. Unfortunately, we do not offer health coverage at this time.
JOB DESCRIPTION POSITION: SCHOOL BUS MECHANIC
REPORTS TO: Fleet Supervisor
JOB SUMMARY: Plan, schedule, repair and preventative maintenance on Specialty transportation fleet as needed; ensure the availability of vehicles in safe operating condition; and provide written documentation of repairs to meet Specialty, state and federal requirements.
QUALIFICATIONS: 1. We would prefer a minimum 3 years documented experience repairing and servicing school buses or medium duty trucks. 2. Demonstrated success in performing a wide variety of tasks requiring a proficient understanding of school bus repair. 3. Ability to overhaul engine on both gasoline and diesel powered trucks and school buses. 4. Valid CDL license with School Bus endorsement, or ability to obtain within 12 months of hire. 5. Knowledge of CT Dept of Motor Vehicles school bus safety inspection procedures (preferred but can be trained).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Diagnose, remove, and assemble body and chassis components from any vehicle; clean, inspect, rebuild, and assemble new or original parts; reinstall components and make necessary adjustments.
2. Diagnose potential vehicle malfunctions (e.g. using computer diagnostic equipment) for the purpose of determining needed repairs and/or replacement.
3. Inspect, clean, adjust, tighten, and / or repair minor items such as lights, bulbs, lenses, reflectors.
4. Repair items such as kingpins, springs, shocks, leaf springs, spring pins.
5. Perform tune-ups.
6. Replace and repair brakes, steering repairs, electrical repairs, air conditioning, and heat repairs. 7. Replace or repair minor body parts.
8. Service buses for maintenance.
9. Perform minor repairs as requested on daily vehicle inspection reports in a timely fashion.
10. Tire repairs; lube oil and filter changes; minor electrical repairs (bulbs, flashers, fuses); mirror replacement; minor road service; service fuels and fluids.
11. Maintain maintenance and repair computer and paper records on vehicles as required.
12. Performs tire work (e.g. changing, balancing) for the purpose of ensuring all buses and equipment are operating on safe tires.
13. Service buses and transportation equipment for the purpose of ensuring a qualified person is able to run the bus on the route.
14. Transport various items (e.g. tools, equipment, supplies) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of materials required at the job site.
15. Coordinates with Fleet Supervisor on warranty and recall service.
16. Inspect and repair vehicles prior to DMV inspections.
17. Maintain inventory of parts and supplies.
18. Perform other duties as determined by the Fleet Supervisor or Terminal Manager. The job descriptions are intended to be an outline and summary of the duties to be performed by personnel. In each instance, it is expected that employees will perform whatever duties are necessary to carry out Specialty's transportation functions.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each of the above-listed duties and responsibilities satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and / or responsibilities required. SKILLS Skills are required to perform single, technical tasks with a need to occasionally upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating equipment used in bus maintenance; planning and managing projects; preparing and maintaining accurate records; and using pertinent software applications.
Knowledge is required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percentages, and / or ratios; read technical information, compose a variety of documents, and / or facilitate group discussions; and solve practical problems. Specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job includes: safety practices and procedures and provisions of the CT DMV regulations applicable to the operation of school buses.
WORK ENVIRONMENT While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands including significant finger dexterity to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and to stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and / or move up to 40 pounds, such as student equipment and wheelchairs. The employee may occasionally physically assist students with disabilities. Specific vision abilities required by this job include peripheral vision, and close vision such as reading typewritten material. The noise level in the work environment can be low to moderate to loud. The job is performed under some temperature extremes and some hazardous conditions. The information contained in this job description is not a complete list of the duties performed for the position. Additional duties may be required. The job description is intended to be an outline and summary of the duties to be performed.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $25.00 - $35.00 per hour
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Mask if you prefer.
Work Location: In person