SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER (COMPOSITES ASSEMBLY)
- Utilize production optimization tools (swim lane charts, work balance boards, string diagrams, story boards, etc.) in order to remove waste from the processes and delivery desired output quality and rate.
- Cross-functional coordination between engineering and production disciplines to refine build and test sequences at the major assembly level.
- Develop a strategy to remove a hold factor when a non-conformance or issue with a drawing halts production.
- Support line trials for engineering change and integrate the solutions into the production flow.
- Influence RE/ME teams with regard to design for manufacturing/test and/or lessons learned in order to simplify production processes.
- Establish an environment where 5S achievements are world-class by the nature of cell and equipment design (shadow board solutions, tool holding, demarcations, kanban markings, team boards, electronic visualization methods, etc.).
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree in mechanical, materials, aerospace or chemical engineering.
- 2 years of experience in an automotive, aviation or spacecraft manufacturing environment.
- 2 years of experience in a composites production role.
- Master of Science degree in mechanical, materials, aerospace or chemical engineering.
- Experience with advanced composites (carbon-carbon, silicon-carbide) or carbon/ceramic fibers in a high-volume manufacturing environment.
- Familiarity with mechanical/avionics, test and quality processes in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience rapidly introducing lean manufacturing principles.
- Lean-Sigma certification with practical implementation experience.
- Unigraphics experience.
- Position may require extended work hours and weekend work
- Position may require standing, bending, stooping and working directly with hardware on the floor for up extended periods of time
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here ( https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_kb_article_page&sys_id=24d528fddbfc930044f9ff621f961987 ).
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX's Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.