As the Controller, you are a trusted senior manager of a vital department for the Company. You provide guidance to the CFO and are a strong leader and mentor for the Finance and Accounting teams.
The Controller is responsible for directing and executing the financial affairs of the Company, including; Financial Reporting, FP&A, Treasury, Compliance and Finance Operations functions. Responsibilities include timely financial reporting, draft and implementation of Finance and Accounting policies, optimized execution of payroll, cash management and accounts payable. Timely collection of accounts receivable, and relationship development with lending institutions also fall under the responsibilities of this role. This position requires direct supervision over general accounting, payroll, internal auditing, cost accounting, and budgetary controls through policy accountability, mentorship and professional development. This position includes bothhands on accounting and supervises all finance and accounting staff. This position reports to the CFO.
The ideal candidate is highly self-motivated, professional and capable of managing their workloads and prioritizing tasks of others in a fast-paced corporate environment. This candidate will have a technical background in all areas of Finance, GL, AR, AP, Treasury. This person is technical proficient but also can see the big picture and lead others with a team approach. This candidate has excellent communication skills and routinely presents to C-level management. This person will also have a great, outgoing personality, outstanding organization skills, and initiative.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Including but not limited to:
- Manage all general accounting functions which include performing month-end close process, preparing and booking journal entries, account reconciliations and variance analysis
- Assure accuracy of all general ledger activity, including reconciliations of all necessary general ledger accounts, and review of general ledger activity.
- Responsible for timely month-end close including preparation of financial statements with comparisons and analysis of prior periods and budgets.
- Prepare monthly Consolidated Balance Sheet, P&L and Cash Flow statements and finacials for Board packages.
- Oversee tax-related matters to ensure timely compliance
- Direct activities related to efficient cash collection and vendor payments and overall cash management and cash forecasting.
- Oversee and manage accounts payable, assuring all policy, procedures and internal controls are followed consistently. Assures invoices and checks are processed timely and accurately.
- Oversee day-to-day commercial banking relationships
- Oversee all audits/reviews – financial, tax, bank, etc.
- Review vendor contracts and agreements
- Help coordinate company financial planning and budget management
- Maintain and improve upon current accounting infrastructure to scale with business growth, including documentation of policies and procedures.
- Implement, document and maintain a system of internal controls
- Maintain relationship with external auditors and ensure compliance of GAAP requirements
- Analyze company operations to identify operational and cost efficiencies and implement solutions.
- Create and report relevant and routine metrics around accounting department productivity and accuracy
- Document and/or update standard policies and procedures as needed
- Supervise accounting/finance staff, including hiring, training and maintaining adequate staffing levels, providing continuous coverage for all accounting/finance functions.
- Assist in due diligence related matters
- Assist with special projects as needed
- Accounting staff will report to this position
- Mentor staff
- Exercise strong work ethic and professionalism
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Superb interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence
- Excellent grasp of GAAP principals
- Strong Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (Excel, Word, Outlook) excellent Excel skills
- Adept at managing multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced work environment
- Excellent and effective at oral and written communication
- Strong organizational, analytical and administrative skills
- Ability to see the big picture and integrate into day-to-day tasks and activities
- General knowledge of all aspects of commercial furniture management, including customer service, account management, project management and design or quick to learn
- Fluid interpersonal skills to interact effectively with a wide range of customers, personnel and departmentsAbility to work with a variety of personalities and workstyles and provide excellent customer service
- Understanding of corporate strategy and vision with ability to communicate both effectively
- Work ethic that embodies high degree of confidentiality, integrity, accountability and professionalism
- Excellent attention to detail and the belief that no task is too big or too small
- Proven organization and time management skills to complete a high volume of varied responsibilities in a fast-paced, fluid setting
- Compelling oral and written communication skills delivered in a confident, concise and clear manner
- Critical thinking, resourceful and problem-solving abilities coupled with a fun, positive “can-do” attitude
- Minimum of 8 years of Accounting experience, with increasing levels of responsibility
- Experience in Furniture Industry preferred
- Degree in Accounting or Finance
- Knowledge of Core ERP Software and ADP, helpful
- CPA certification
- Experience managing relationships with external auditors
- Ability to translate large amounts of data into useful information
- Strong project management skills including an ability to multi-task, prioritize and respond quickly within a rapidly changing environment
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment
What We Offer
- Highly competitive compensation plan
- Innovative, high growth and collaborative culture. We believe in culture.
- Fun, flexible and casual work environment with amazing people
- Great snacks and lunches on Fridays
- Vacation and paid holidays
- Great Benefits including: Medical, dental, vision, Health Savings Account, 401K with and Life and Disability coverage
- Commuter assistance
- Gym membership assistance
- Pet Friendly
- Awesome Team Events (scavenger hunts, golf tournaments, picnic, holiday party, etc.)
Job Type: Full-time
- Accounting: 8 years (Required)