Under the direct supervision of General Counsel, In-House Counsel provides assistance with real estate transactions (acquisitions and sales), commercial crop contracts, formation of business entities and regulatory compliance.
- Negotiate, draft, and review leases, easements, purchase and sale agreements, option agreements, license agreements, well sharing agreements, nondisclosure agreements, promissory notes, loan agreements, title objection notices and other various legal agreements, contracts and documents;
- Analyze and summarize legal documents and make suggestions for alterations;
- Perform due diligence and review closing checklists for acquisitions or dispositions of real property;
- Basic knowledge of income and real estate property tax, transfer tax, and tax free exchanges;
- Communicate and negotiate legal matters with outside parties, outside counsel and vendors;
- Manage farming regulatory compliance;
- Collaborate with the General Counsel to devise efficient departmental strategies; and
- Supervise the work of paralegals and legal assistants.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function and be willing to take on new roles as needed. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have a Juris Doctor and be licensed to practice law in California.
- At least six (6) years of post-graduate professional legal experience in a law firm or in-house counsel setting. Attorneys with at least nine (9) years of such experience are preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with other professionals in the legal department and business teams is required.
- Significant experience with farming and/or commercial real estate transactions is preferred.
- Detail oriented with strong analytical skills.
- Must work well under pressure and efficiently manage a heavy workload.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, MS Outlook, Excel and related software programs.
- Must have practical business acumen.
This job description documents the general nature and level of work, but is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all activities, duties and responsibilities. The successful applicant may be asked to perform other duties as required.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and will be discussed during the interview process. The company provides a generous benefits package, including medical, dental and vision benefits, a dependent care benefit, sick leave, paid time off, and extended illness leave.
Job Type: Full-time