Who we are:
Antheia is a science and technology company developing next generation plant-inspired medicines. Applying synthetic biology, genomics, informatics, and fermentation, we harness the most beneficial molecules from plants to create active pharmaceutical ingredients in more controlled and economical ways. We are a close-knit team inspired by the possibilities of delivering transformative technologies and breakthrough science to change the course of medicine. We value our people as our most important resource and are always looking for talented individuals who can make valuable contributions to our efforts.
Antheia is currently hiring a VP of Data Science who will be a part of the Antheia senior leadership team. This role is responsible for building our data and analysis architecture and developing core competences in the analysis of large data sets. This position will provide the vision for the data science department and a successful candidate will be a strong leader with experience building teams and data systems from scratch. A successful candidate will be a great communicator, a creative problem solver, and capable of working both collaboratively with our scientists (mostly molecular biologists, biochemists, chemists, bioengineers, and chemical engineers) and other members of the management team.
- Work with senior management and leadership teams to develop a strategic vision for Antheia’s computational, informatics, and machine learning capacities.
- Collaborate with research scientists to develop a deep understanding of workflows and identify and define system requirements.
- Design and develop a data architecture appropriate for our current and future needs that is extensible and scalable.
- Oversee design, construction, and maintenance of databases for the research and development groups.
- Integrate new data management technologies and software tools into existing workflows.
- Lead creation of custom software components and applications and train users on new software tools.
- Develop processes for data modeling, analysis, and visualization.
- Recruit, direct, and develop a high performance team of developers that interface efficiently and effectively with Antheia’s research groups.
- Set goals for individuals within department, and perform employee reviews and assessments
- Develop and manage budgets for the Data Science department.
- Prepare technical reports and make clear and succinct presentations to multidisciplinary project teams
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Bioinformatics, or equivalent disciplines. 10+ years of experience.
- Demonstrated ability to build and lead teams.
- Ability to work with and manage diverse personalities and backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, dynamic environment characteristic of a startup.
- Strong understanding of bioinformatics and the needs of a biotech organization.
- Proficient in statistical analyses and appropriate tools for analysis.
- Proficient in back end architecture, database design, and maintenance.
- Proficient in front end development and implementing user interfaces.
- Ability to be organized and keep detailed and accurate documentation.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong knowledge and skills with commonly used database, analysis, and programming environments (e.g. SQL, python, R/Matlab, version control, full-stack development).
Job Type: Full-time