Professional Linguistic Upper Studies (PLUS) operates English as a Foreign Language (EFL) programs across the world. PLUS U.S. Corporation, headquartered in New York City, runs summer English language study and travel programs for international high school students across North America. The programs allow students the opportunity to take classes in English and explore the surrounding regions while staying at U.S. colleges and universities.
Instructors deliver lessons to advanced-level international high school students based on the curriculum provided. Instructors report directly to the Academic Supervisor.
The employment period is during Summer 2019; dates may be flexible based on instructor flexibility. Most students are with the PLUS program for two-week sessions; PLUS runs back-to-back sessions over the course of the summer.
Students receive approximately 15 hours of instruction per week during their two-week session. Each session has 8 lessons that are offered both in morning classes (8:30am to 12:15pm) and afternoon classes (1:00pm to 4:45pm). Classes are held Mondays-Saturdays and on average about 4 days each week. Classes are either morning only, or morning AND afternoon. Class sizes are generally 25 students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Qualifications and Desired Skills:
- Deliver well-prepared lessons to diverse classrooms of international high school students in a professional and engaging manner
- Review the curriculum provided by PLUS to adequately prepare for each lesson; instructors should be prepared to supplement the curriculum with their own materials, as appropriate.
- Practice appropriate classroom management techniques to ensure a safe, comfortable, and engaging learning environment for all students
- Attend course-related field trip(s) with students, as instructed
- Collaborate with the Academic Supervisor and PLUS Head Office regarding instructional methods and the PLUS curriculum
- Attend training session and any additional meetings organized by the Academic Supervisor and/or PLUS Head Office
- Maintain frequent and professional communication with the Academic Supervisor
- Perform other duties, as assigned
- Authorization to work in the U.S. required
- Must be 18 years or older
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's preferred
- Prior teaching experience required
- Experience working with multicultural and multilingual classrooms strongly preferred
- Command of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Google Drive strongly preferred
Successful candidates will be self-motivated, organized, professional, and adaptable, with strong interpersonal and communication skills.