Title: OrchKids Summer 2023 Book Club Facilitator (Lead and Support Positions)
Reports to: OrchKids Associate Director of Programs
- $40/hour for Book Club Facilitators (8 positions available)
- $50/hour for Lead Book Club Facilitator (1 position available)
Dates: July 10-28th 2023
Hours: Monday-Thursday 9:00-10:30am
OrchKids uses music as a vehicle for students to develop 21st century skills (creativity, collaboration, leadership, etc.) that are transferable to all areas of their lives. Marin Alsop, Music Director Laureate of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra and OrchKids Founding Director, shaped OrchKids into the cornerstone of the BSO’s community engagement efforts across the city with her artistic leadership and direction. OrchKids was founded in 2008 with 30 students at one elementary school with seed funding from Marin Alsop and Founding Donors Rheda Becker and Robert E. Meyerhoff.
OrchKids now works with seven schools in Baltimore City, serving over 1,800 children from Pre-K through 12th grade during school, after school, and in weeklong workshops. In collaboration with several community partners OrchKids provides music education, instruments, academic assistance, meals, mental health resources, connection to social services, as well as performance and mentorship opportunities at no cost to students and families. OrchKids is an acknowledged leader in the El Sistema and social-change through music movement throughout the world.
The OrchKids Lead Book Club Facilitator is contracted to help facilitate OrchKids students during the Summer Book Club Program for students in grades 1st-8th grade.
Book Club Facilitators will be expected to create their lesson plans/assignments based on the pacing of the book reading, guided by the Lead Book Club Facilitator. Grade groupings will go as follows: 1st-3rd grade, 4th-5th grade, and 6-8th grade. The Lead Book Club Facilitator and supporting Book Club Facilitators will be provided a reading list by OrchKids, including books from all reading levels, to help create and implement a curriculum and reading assignments for students.
- Must have a complete COVID-19 Vaccine and submit proof of vaccination
- Prepare weekly reading plans based on the curriculum provided
- Assist students with the successful completion of assignments and check for accuracy
- Experience with classroom teaching or working with groups of up to 10 students
- Experience with tutoring or mentoring, especially in the field of Elementary and/or Middle School academic work
- Experience in both Elementary/Middle School reading
- Ability to work effectively with children of diverse backgrounds
- Desire to be a motivational mentor and role model for OrchKids students and community
- Flexibility and ability to work collaboratively with team mates
- High level of professionalism and excellent interpersonal skills
OrchKids Principles of Inclusion:
BSO OrchKids believes in the principles of diversity and inclusion for students and all parties involved in the program regardless of race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or socio-economic status. We are proud to serve students of all backgrounds and abilities and our expectation is that all students will be treated equally, nurtured to ensure their success and we will meet them where they are. As a team, we expect and are prepared to make reasonable accommodations to address and support differences in learning styles, behaviors, and cultural differences. Our expectation is also that we treat all parties involved in BSO OrchKids (teaching artists, staff, school staff, families, community members, etc.) with respect and in accordance with our principles of inclusion.
The Baltimore Symphony is an Equal Opportunity Employer:
The Baltimore Symphony Orchestra does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, differing physical abilities, genetic information, age, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factors.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please no phone calls. Applications are currently being received on a rolling basis and candidates will be contacted based on openings and qualifications.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $40.00 per hour
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Teaching: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: In person