CSX Network & Regions:
- Midwest Region : Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Ontario (Canada), Pennsylvania, and Kentucky
- New England Region : Massachusetts and Maine
- Northeast Region : Canada, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington D.C., and West Virginia
- Southeast Region : Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia
- Southwest Region : Alabama, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, and Tennessee
Manager of Train Operations
A CSX Manager Train Operations will capitalize on fluidity through supplying efficient movement of traffic across the line of road and yard by developing, organizing, and executing the operating plan in a safe and cost effective manner. Manager Train Operations will be responsible for the deliverables and results of safety, service, productivity and financial metrics. Collaborate efforts with Engineering, Mechanical, other terminal and field management personnel, Crew Management, and Operations Center In the support and leadership of crews of crews and operations to make decisions towards the goal of safety, asset utilization, cost control and effectively leading and developing people.
Primary Activities and Responsibilities
- Manage for steady improvement in safety of all T&E employees. Perform safety observations, collect safety performance data, conduct safety, and operating rules classes. Perform quality efficiency and operational tests on a regular basis, document performance, and submit data promptly and accurately.
- Accountable for deliverables and results of safety, service, productivity, financial metrics and adherence to corporate values, which include compliance with regulatory environment.
- Build and lead an agile high performing team including determination of optimal numbers, recruitment, and development.
- Lead the execution and implementation of the daily yard-terminal/road operating plan in a safe and cost effective manner which maximizes fluidity and Trip Plan Compliance.
- Grow yard/road fluidity and productivity as a result of identifying and applying innovative ideas.
- Develop and communicate the plan for managing local resources.
- Maximize asset utilization and cost control by providing results aligning with performance and financial metrics.
- Coordinate activities related to derailments and other service disruptions. Investigate and determine cause to ensure future train accident prevention.
- Accountable for full understanding of business requirements and service commitments.
- Miscellaneous activities and responsibilities as assigned by manager
You will attend 5 months rotational training at the Railroad Education & Development Institute (REDI) in Atlanta, GA and various locations around the CSX network. CSX will pay travel and lodging accommodations. During the 5 month training program, you will complete The Conductor Certification Training which includes a mixture of classroom and computer-based learning, hands-on simulations, and physical competencies. MTO trainees must maintain an 85% passing rate on quizzes and tests.
- High School Diploma/GED
- One or more years of experience in Transportation, Logistics, Rail Operations, the Military, or Skilled Trades (building/construction, electrical, mechanical)
- CSX Operations with Current Conductor Certification or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire
- A valid Driver's License
- Bachelor's Degree/4-year Degree
- 3 or more years of experience working outside of an office environment in Transportation, Logistics, Rail Operations, Military, or Skilled Trades (building/construction, electrical, mechanical)
- Current Conductor/Locomotive Engineer Certification
- 2 or more years of supervisory experience in Rail Operations
- Work in cramped, confined, enclosed, or awkward places
- Ride on the outside of rail equipment for extended periods of time
- Walk long distances over uneven terrain
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection
- Must meet color vision and hearing requirements as described in FRA Regulations
- Frequent lifting up to 80 pounds
- Complete annual training and pass safety rules examinations
- Federal regulations require random testing for drugs and/or alcohol
- Must pass all required assessments
- Must pass a background screening
- Must pass a post-offer medical examination, including a drug test
Knowledge and Skills
- Railroad industry knowledge
- Microsoft Office skills
- Ability to drive a culture of safety and accountability
- Personal leadership skills
- CSX yard systems skills
- Knowledge of CSX operating rules
Mainframe systems skills
United by a set of core values, a One-CSX culture will attract, retain and recognize an inclusive, high performing workforce that is laser-focused on delivering the Company’s vision with passion and integrity.
CSX, based in Jacksonville, Florida, is a premier transportation company. It provides rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services and solutions to customers across a broad array of markets, including energy, industrial, construction, agricultural, and consumer products. For nearly 200 years, CSX has played a critical role in the nation's economic expansion and industrial development. Its network connects every major metropolitan area in the eastern United States, where nearly two-thirds of the nation's population resides. It also links more than 230 short-line railroads and more than 70 ocean, river and lake ports with major population centers and farming towns alike. More information about CSX Corporation and its subsidiaries is available at www.csx.com. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter .
At CSX, two of our five Guiding Principles are Valuing and Developing Employees as well as Operating Safely. We are committed to offering our team members the most competitive compensation and benefits package available, unlimited opportunities for development and growth throughout an exciting and rewarding career, and the safest work environment possible.
CSX is an Equal Opportunity Employer Veterans/Disabled. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
CSX Transportation and its subsidiaries are not seeking outside assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from staffing agencies or search firms for employment or contractor opportunities. Any resumes submitted by an outside vendor to any employee at CSX via e-mail, Internet, or directly to hiring managers without a valid written search agreement in place with the Talent Acquisition / HR department will be deemed the sole property of CSX. No placement fee will be paid in the event a candidate is hired as a result of the referral, or through other means.