Requisition #: 167279
Location: Johns Hopkins Hospital/Johns Hopkins Health System, Baltimore, MD
Category: Non-Clinical Professional
Work Shift: Day Shift
Work Week: Full Time (40 hours)
Weekend Work Required: No
Date Posted: April 23, 2018
Johns Hopkins Health System employs more than 20,000 people annually. Upon joining Johns Hopkins Health System, you become part of a diverse organization dedicated to its patients, their families, and the community we serve, as well as to our employees. Career opportunities are available in academic and community hospital settings, home care services, physician practices, international affiliate locations and in the health insurance industry. If you share in our vision, mission and values and also have exceptional customer service and technical skills, we invite you to join those who are leaders and innovators in the healthcare field.
This position is responsible for the sections of the hopkinsmedicine.org website that convey JHM's brand, mission and achievements. The particular area of focus is for The Johns Hopkins Wilmer Eye Institute, as well as overall institutional priorities. Reporting to the Web Content Manager, the position works hand-in-hand with all teams within M&C. The position's primary responsibilities, in addition to projects as assigned, are:
Manage external web site areas for the Wilmer Eye Institute.
Research, write, optimize and build web content.
Assist projects and develop content for institutional and core initiative web areas.
Work with Wilmer staff and faculty, and departments throughout Marketing & Communications (social media, video, media, content and marketing) to promote content across channels and platforms.
The Web Content Specialist will ensure suitability and optimization of copy for the online environment, consistency in style and tone, relevancy for target groups and consistency within the organization-wide brand and messaging.
1. Write, edit and proofread content for Web pages, applications, new media and other forms of communication. Proactively identify content needs and develop plans to address and enhance. Support duties as assigned by department leadership.
2. Write metadata and keywords to optimize pages for search engine optimization.
3. Build pages and websites using a content management system.
4. Provide counsel to clients and colleagues on Web writing and industry best practices, and provide input to processes and procedures for the M&C approach.
5. Coordinate and collaborate with internal clients, M&C colleagues in media, editorial, multimedia, business stakeholders, vendors/freelancers, project managers and other contributors including usability analysts, designers, testers and developers to ensure consistency in style, tone, branding and quality of hopkinsmedicine.org subsidiary sites and other online content.
Bachelor's Degree in English, Communications, or Journalism or related field, or equivalent education and related training. Requires a minimum of 3 years of related experience.
Medical or health-related institution and Web writing experience.
Marketing communications or corporate communications writing and editing experience. Demonstrated knowledge and results of search engine optimized sites that rank high on major search engines for relevant key words. Knowledge of HTML, understanding how copy translates to code. Working knowledge and experience using content management systems, social media tools and related Web applications. Self-motivated, detail oriented, results-driven personality. Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to write clear, concise copy. Ability to adapt to rapidly changing environment. Solid teamwork skills. Strong work ethic. Ability to operate independently. Ability to utilize Microsoft applications, including Outlook, Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint. Ability to travel locally as needed.
Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law. Johns Hopkins Health System and its affiliates are drug-free workplace employers.