The Arkansas Health Insurance Marketplace (AHIM) was established by Act 1500 of the Arkansas State Legislature, to manage and implement a state-based health insurance marketplace in Arkansas in accordance with state and federal law. Arkansas currently operates the individual exchange as a state-based marketplace using the federal platform and operates the SHOP exchange as a state-based marketplace. The AHIM is responsible for operating the state-based health insurance marketplace.
Reports To: Executive Director
In conjunction with the Executive Director, the Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for shaping the policy standards and overarching design of the marketplace in addition to directing its interaction with the public, media, and elected representatives to ensure its responsiveness and accessibility. The position works to fulfill the marketplace’s commitment to providing information, education and technical assistance about the marketplace’s new health insurance programs and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 (ACA).
- Develop and implement broad-based public education campaigns to ensure that the public, business, the media and state departments, agencies and authorities are informed and knowledgeable of the benefits and requirements of the state’s landmark health care reform law.
- Design, develop and implement marketplace specific policies and operating procedures in conjunction with the AHIM Board of Directors, the Arkansas Health Insurance Marketplace Oversight Subcommittee, and any relevant state or federal agencies where applicable and appropriate.
- In conjunction with Executive Director develop and implement AHIM specific policies based on state and federal compliance and regulations.
- Develop corporate and civic partnerships to support education and technical assistance around health reform and tie those partnerships to a coordinated and comprehensive informational strategy. Include members of the advocacy and business communities in the partnership development and policy strategy in addition to working with the Board of Directors, Arkansas Health Insurance Marketplace Oversight Subcommittee and any other relevant state or federal agencies where applicable and appropriate.
- Oversee AHIM call center and Navigator entities to ensure compliance with federal guidelines and contract provisions.
- Work with other state agencies and divisions to build a cooperative and coordinated effort around public education about AHIM policies under the ACA.
- Develop strategic media relations campaigns to highlight the benefits of the state’s health reform law as it impacts the public from an informational and education standpoint.
- Develop and articulate the Marketplace’s mission statement and communicate its value proposition to the public.
- Communicate the Marketplace’s progress as well as its need for support from elected officials on the local, state and national level.
- Develop and oversee the Exchange’s advertising campaign, including a thorough procurement process to choose a strategic communications/advertising partner. Work with this firm on consumer research, message development, creative development and placement to: (1) educate and inform state citizens; (2) build the Exchange’s brand attributes, (3) build awareness of the Exchange and the health coverage options it offers to citizens; and (4) build and maintain support for continued state health reform.
- Consult with Executive Director regarding communication strategies related changes in policies that affect AHIM programs.
- Performs other duties as necessary and assigned by the Executive Director.
Qualifications and Educational Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, political science or related field, master’s degree preferred.
- Ten years of successful, extensive, and increasingly responsible management experience required.
- Extensive experience in developing strategic communications programs and/or policy analysis and regulatory work.
- Experience with implementation of the Affordable Care Act.
- Knowledge of healthcare field required and experience in healthcare policy or health insurance preferred, but not necessary.
- Must work well within a team and within a demanding, often-public environment. Ability to work on tight deadlines.
- Credible presence and the ability to gain trust and confidence from the general public, Board and members of the Senior Team.
- Excellent judgment, the ability to communicate openly among colleagues at all levels, a “hands-on” approach, and the ability to think strategically and produce strong results.
- Must be comfortable and effective in making public presentations.
- Must have strong analytical, writing, and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated maturity and capacity to navigate a complex structure and respond to shifting and fluid priorities.
Apply by 5:00pm CST on Friday, June 29, 2018
Job Type: Full-time
- Marketing: 10 years
- Communications: 10 years