• Review construction documents for proposed repairs, remodeling, additions or new construction to ensure compliance with applicable construction codes.
• Conduct preliminary plan review meetings with architects, engineers, owners, contractors, and developers for the purpose of identifying and resolving code questions, issues and interpretations prior to construction plan submittal.
• Determine acceptability of proposals for interpretation requests, alternate construction methods or materials or modifications of the code, making recommendations to supervisor and/or the Building Official.
• Complete sufficient continuing education to stay informed of changing codes and construction technology including accessibility requirements, as well as to maintain certifications and licenses.
• Perform occasional inspection to inform decision making.
• Assist in the supervision of subordinate employees and assume responsibility for the section in the absence of the supervisor.
• Other duties as assigned.
Office and field.
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
Five years of progressive responsible technical experience in a position requiring the application of mechanical and Fuel Gas Code knowledge.
An equivalent combination of related education and experience may be considered.
• Registration/Licensure with the State of Minnesota as a Professional Engineer
• ICC Mechanical Plans Examiner Certification (at hire or see below)
IMPORTANT NOTE: If hired with only registration as a Professional Engineer, incumbent must obtain ICC Mechanical Plans Examiner certification within two years of hire. Continued employment is contingent upon this.
Desirable Qualifications - Cultural competency:
Ability to relate and work effectively with people from diverse cultural, economic and ethnic backgrounds.
The selection process will consist of one or more of the following steps: a rating of relevant education and experience and/or an oral examination (100%). It is important that your application show all the relevant education and experience you possess. This information will be used to determine which candidates will proceed in the selection process. A submitted application is also used to verify the answers to any supplemental questions. Only those candidates who attain a passing score on each step in the selection process will be placed on the eligible list. The City of Minneapolis Human Resources Department reserves the right to limit the number in any phase of the selection process.
The City has determined that a criminal background check and/or qualifications check may be necessary for certain positions with this job title. Applicants may be required to sign an informed consent form allowing the City to obtain their criminal history and/or verify their qualifications in connection with the position sought. Applicants who do not sign the informed consent form will not be considered further for the position.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement between the City of Minneapolis and the Minneapolis Public Works Engineers Association (CEN).
THE ELIGIBLE LIST WILL EXPIRE UPON HIRE.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Heating/cooling system design and code review experience.
• Plumbing design and/or plumbing code review experience is desirable.
• Thorough knowledge of engineering principles and practices applicable to building design and construction; and of the state-adopted construction codes and local laws, ordinances and codes.
• Considerable knowledge of engineering, problem solving techniques, administrative practices and procedures.
• Basic computer knowledge.
• Good oral and written communications skills; good interpersonal and human relations skills.
• Ability to interpret and explain code requirements clearly and in non-technical language to the public as well as in technical terms for other professionals in the construction field.
• Occasional inspection of work, on-site consultations.