B Lab's vision is that one day all companies will compete to be the best for the world, creating a shared and durable prosperity for all. B Lab drives this systemic change by: 1) building a global community of Certified B Corporations who meet the highest standards of verified, overall social and environmental performance, public transparency, and legal accountability to balance profit and purpose; 2) promoting meaningful engagement with the B Economy through use of Benefit Corporation Governance to align the interests of business with those of society and to help high impact businesses scale with integrity, and Impact Management tools that help businesses, investors, and institutions improve their ability to use business as a force for good.
Certified B Corps meet the most rigorous standards of social and environmental performance and transparency, and legally expand their fiduciary duties to include consideration of stakeholder interests. As of April 2018, there are more than 2,400 Certified B Corps from over 150 industries and 50 countries; more than 6,000 businesses have registered as benefit corporations; more than 70,000 businesses have taken their first steps in impact management using the B Impact Assessment; and more than 100 investors, fund managers, credit providers, business associations, supply chain managers, and government agencies are using B Analytics data platform and B Ratings to measure and report on the impact of the companies in whom they invest and with whom they work.
Who are we?
Business can be a force for good. B Lab ( https://www.bcorporation.net/what-are-b-corps/about-b-lab ) is at the center of the movement to redefine success in business so that all companies compete not only to be the best in the world, but the best for the world.
Leading social enterprises like Patagonia, Cabot Creamery, Ben & Jerry's and Sungevity (as well as Philly companies like MIO and United by Blue) are certified B Corps, which is a designation B Lab created to measure and certify that businesses are making a positive impact across all their stakeholders.
The social enterprise movement is growing – and that's where you come in.
B Lab is seeking a Director to lead our external efforts to grow a more diverse and inclusive B Economy. This role will sit on our growing US and Canada team to develop and execute on an Inclusive Economies strategy that both supports B Economy businesses in creating an inclusive economy and grows the diversity of the B Economy. A senior leader on our team, this position will ensure that our work across all teams centers on creating an equitable and inclusive movement and community. Our new team member will join B Lab at a time when our US/Canadian team is operationalizing a new overarching strategy to recruit and activate influential companies with a particular emphasis on women and minority owned and led businesses.
Core Job Functions:
Lead B Lab's efforts to grow a more diverse and inclusive B Economy in the the United States and Canada through:
- Developing and overseeing a diversity, equity, and inclusion strategy that grows a diverse movement of people using business as a force for good and is appealing, accessible, and relevant to people of diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Building networks and relationships with partners and companies consistent with strategy above
- Representing B Lab, and serving as subject matter expert on diversity, equity and inclusion at conferences, professional associations, and business meetings
- Understanding needs and influencing offering design (programs, products, etc.) to make the B Corp community and B Economy relevant and accessible to a diverse range of business leaders
- Serving as a cross-team advisor to:
- ensure that strategy and execution for external Inclusive Economies work including the Inclusive Economies Challenge is consistent with best-in-class Equity, Diversity and Inclusion practices
- support programs, events, and offerings that center on equity and create a more inclusive community for underrepresented community members
- Overseeing the measurement and evaluation of community related diversity and inclusion efforts, and communicating these results to key stakeholders
- Hire, manage and develop a new team member to support the execution of the strategy.
Secondarily, this role will support equity and inclusion across B Lab's organizational and programmatic efforts through:
Preferred Qualifications Include:
- Serving on B Lab's internal Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee
- Serving as an internal advisor and trainer to equip external facing team members to execute on our strategy
- 10+ years of experience working within complex organizations
- Strong networks and relationships with organizations and companies that support businesses owned and/or run by people of color (Black, Latinx, Native American), women, or other underrepresented minorities
- Experience working with underrepresented entrepreneurs and business leaders including women, people of color, or LGBTQ+ company leaders
- Experience with partnership development and relationship management
- Ability to set long term strategic goals and to work across teams to embed equity, diversity, and inclusion goals through the organization
- Able to connect dots and identify broader themes in needs and opportunities
- Ability to assess current and identify new opportunities for creative collaboration to help support achieving B Lab's vision of a shared and durable prosperity
- Excellent follow through to keep momentum towards long term goals
- Willingness to travel 10-20% of time, depending on location
Annual starting salary beginning at $ 90,000 to $130,000 (depending on location and experience) plus excellent benefits. In addition to your salary, you'll also receive medical, vision and dental coverage; 40 hours paid time off for community service; paid parental leave; and professional development support after your first year of employment. In your first year, you'll start with 3 weeks of vacation. This role reports to the Executive Director of US/CAN.
B Lab believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. We're not looking for candidates who are "culture fits." We're looking for candidates who can expand our culture, challenge business as usual, and bring their whole selves to work. We strive to provide those candidates with an equitable and accessible recruitment process.
B Lab provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, B Lab complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We will review applications, with priority given to those who have included a cover letter, and look forward to hearing from you.