The Nursing Manager is a registered nurse who has 24-hour comprehensive operational responsibility for the delivery and quality of patient care provided in the designated areas(s) of responsibility. The manager assists with developing and implementing performance initiatives to ensure optimal patient safety and outcomes and customer satisfaction. Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction, initiative, effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communications skills. Fosters interdepartmental/interdisciplinary collaboration. Participates in committees, representing unit and Nursing in a positive manner.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 20%
1. Establishes effective, two way communication with staff.
2. Selects, retains, and effectively develops unit staff and management personnel, utilizing performance appraisals, corrective counseling, and commendations to achieve desired outcomes.
3. Functions as role model to staff, reinforcing principles of service orientation and ensuring that the focus is always on improving patient care.
4. Demonstrates the components of the ICARE values statement.
SERVICE - 20%
1. Plans coverage of unit to maximize presence of management and staff.
2. Responds to employee, patient and physician concerns, taking appropriate action and channeling concerns according to appropriate procedures.
3. Maintains ongoing interactions with patients, families, physicians, and staff on how to improve patient care and service provided.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
1. Prepares measurable goals and objectives that are consistent with The Methodist Hospital System priorities, and develops action plans for achieving goals, incorporating collaborative efforts if appropriate.
2. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor hazards.
FINANCE - 20%
1. Manages unit expenses within approved budget parameters.
2. Develops staffing plans and schedules to meet patient care needs that reflect understanding of the importance of cost-effectiveness.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
1. Implements change, demonstrating the ability to motivate employees and follow through to ensure change in behavior has actually occurred.
2. Demonstrates problem solving skills to include investigation, identification of cause(s) and development of corrective action, and submits reports which require minimal editing.
3. Demonstrates initiative in identifying developmental needs of staff and taking appropriate action, including collaboration with unit educator.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Degree in Nursing, Bachelors or Masters required.
Minimum 2 yrs in a clinical setting, leadership experience required. i.e. Charge Nurse
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Texas RN license or temporary TX RN license, should obtain permanent license within 90 days. Compact license acceptable according to current Board of Nursing requirements.
Magnet recognized certification within 6 months of eligibility. HMH-Magnet recognized leadership certification within 6 months of eligibility.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.