Under direct supervision of the provider and nursing leadership, performs a variety of administrative and clinical tasks to assist in the quality and compassionate care provided to patients. These duties include the greeting and escorting of patients to the exam room; taking medical histories, the measurement and recording of vital signs; preparing patients for the examination/procedure; and assisting the physician during the examination/procedure. Demonstrates clinical competence as a Medical Assistant.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Perform initial-response screening following protocols approved by supervising physician.
2. Escort patient to room and prepares patient for examination, procedure and treatment.
3. Obtain vital signs and record in the EHR.
4. Obtain, evaluate, and record patient history employing critical thinking skills.
5. Prepare for, set up and assist with examinations, procedures, and treatments per protocols, policies, and procedures.
6. Prepare and administer oral, parenteral medications and immunizations as ordered by the supervising physician based on Henry Ford Medical Group medication policy. Documents medication administration following the 6 rights in the EHR.
7. Maintain medication and immunization records.
8. Documents care provider during patient visit in EHR.
9. Recognize and respond to emergencies.
10. Responds to patient requests via telephone encounter, In Basket message and/or My Chart according to identified time frames and documents responses in the EHR.
11. Monitors and performs in basket duties to ensure timely response.
12. Enters medication, radiology and lab orders in the electronic health record for provider sign off.
13. Discharges patient providing after visit instructions to patient and/or care giver as directed by the provider.
14. Enters medication refill orders per protocol
1. Collect and process specimens.
2. Perform CLIA-waived tests.
3. Perform electrocardiography, respiratory and other testing based on department needs.
4. Perform phlebotomy, including venipuncture and capillary puncture.
1. Serve as a liaison between patients and medical staff in the event of problems or complaints.
2. Schedule, coordinate, and monitor appointments.
3. Schedule outpatient procedures.
4. Apply third-party and managed care policies, procedures and guidelines.
5. Obtain insurance pre-authorizations.
6. Enters referrals for provider sign off.
1. Participate in departmental/divisional Quality Assessment and Quality Improvement Programs.
2. Practice Standard Precautions, including hand washing and disposal of biohazardous materials.
3. Apply principles of aseptic and sterile technique.
4. Clean instruments and equipment per policies and procedures.
5. Comply with all HFHS and departmental specific safety standards.
6. Maintain compliance with regulatory standards regarding practice, environment and documentation.
1. Function as a health care advocate to meet individual’s needs.
2. Educate individuals in office policies and procedures.
3. Educate the patient within the scope of practice and as directed by supervising physician in health maintenance, disease prevention, and compliance with patient’s treatment plan.
4. Identify community resources for health maintenance
1. Uphold goals, policies, procedures and expectations of the Henry Ford Health System (HFHS).
2. Support the mission, vision, and values of the HFHS.
3. Maintain examination/treatment rooms, including inventory of supplies and equipment.
4. Maintain core and applicable specialty competencies as defined by the Henry Ford Health System.
5. Other duties as assigned within scope of practice.
Graduate from a Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) Medical Assistant Program or Graduate of a formal medical assistant program with a minimum of one year continuous work as Medical Assistant with verifiable clinical experience or
Graduate of a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) program.
Completion of a clinical externship.
Ability to perform a wide variety of clinical skills as related to ambulatory patient care.
Basic computer knowledge and keyboarding skills. Successful completion of HFMG pharmacology class and test.
Able to work one Saturday out the month from 8a-12p.
CERTIFICATIONS/LICENSURES REQUIRED: Current BLS-C certificate.
Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) or Registered Medical Assistant (RMA) preferred.
Minimum Hourly rate: $15.50/hour
This rate is the minimum pay for the position. Actual compensation will be based on education years of experience, and other factors at the time of offer.”
Henry Ford Health System, one of the largest and most comprehensive integrated U.S. health
care systems, is a national leader in clinical care, research and education. The system includes
the 1,200-member Henry Ford Medical Group, five hospitals, Health Alliance Plan (a health
insurance and wellness company), Henry Ford Physician Network, a 150-site ambulatory
network and many other health-related entities throughout southeast Michigan, providing a
full continuum of care. In 2015, Henry Ford provided $299 million in uncompensated care.
The health system also is a major economic driver in Michigan and employs more than 24,600
employees. Henry Ford is a 2011Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award recipient. The
health system is led by President and CEO Wright Lassiter III. To learn more, visit HenryFord.com.
Whether it's offering a new medical option, helping you make healthier lifestyle choices or
making the employee enrollment selection experience easier, it's all about choice. Henry
Ford Health System has a new approach for its employee benefits program - My Choice
Rewards. My Choice Rewards is a program as diverse as the people it serves. There are
dozens of options for all of our employees including compensation, benefits, work/life balance
and learning - options that enhance your career and add value to your personal life. As an
employee you are provided access to Retirement Programs, an Employee Assistance Program
(Henry Ford Enhanced), Tuition Reimbursement, Paid Time Off, Employee Health and Wellness
and access to day care services at Bright Horizons Midtown Detroit, and a whole host of other
benefits and services.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer Henry Ford Health System is
committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals without regard to
race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, size, height,
weight, marital status, family status, gender identity, sexual orientation, and genetic information,
or any other protected status in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.