Nuvance Health has a network of convenient hospital and outpatient locations — Danbury Hospital, New Milford Hospital, Norwalk Hospital and Sharon Hospital in Connecticut, and Northern Dutchess Hospital, Putnam Hospital Center and Vassar Brothers Medical Center in New York — plus multiple primary and specialty care physician practices locations, including The Heart Center, a leading provider of cardiology care, and two urgent care offices. Non-acute care is offered through various affiliates, including the Thompson House for rehabilitation and skilled nursing services, and the Home Care organizations.
Assists technical staff in preparing specimens and equipment for patient testing. Maintains proper inventory of reagents and control materials. Performs clerical functions associated with accessioning, result reporting, referred testing and customer service.
1. Maintains daily operations of the front end automation system (MPA) i.e. loading caps, aliquot tubes and other system function checks determined. Loads specimens received on the MPA and delivers samples to appropriate section(s) when applicable.
2. Ensures specimen integrity while performing specimen accessioning/ordering in the LIS and processing using established handling, labeling and processing procedures.
3. Prepares control material, performs preventive maintenance (i.e. thermometer calibration etc.), completes maintenance logs and performs instrument quality control, oversees refrigerator and freezer temperature recording, etc.
4. Answers phones and insures customer satisfaction. Adds on additional test requests when applicable following laboratory protocol for Add-On Requests.
5. Maintains reagent inventory, labels and stores reagents appropriately, dating when received, opened and when expires and stores appropriately.
6. Answers the pneumatic tube system. Files specimens, slides and reports for easy retrieval and discards specimen at proper intervals.
7. Restocks supplies in work area as needed.
8. Communicates well with other staff members to ensure excellent customer service and appropriate follow-up.
9. Fulfills all compliance responsibilities related to the position.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
This position requires a minimum formal education of High School Diploma and minimum of three years job-related experience. Customer service and organizational skills.
Criteria Desired (Not Required): AS degree preferred.
Location: Danbury-24 Hospital Ave
Work Type: Full-Time
Standard Hours: 8.00
Work Schedule: Day/Eve 8
Work Shift: 6a-11:30p, 8 hour shifts, w/e, holidays as needed
Org Unit: 123
Department: Blood Bank
- HS Graduate or Equivalent
- Significant manual skills / motor coord & finger dexterity
- Significant occupational risk
- Medium to Heavy effort. May exert up to 35 lbs. force
- Some exposure to dirt, odors, noise, human waste, etc.
Nuvance Health and its affiliates are Section 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations and therefore eligible employees may qualify for forgiveness of certain federal student loans under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. Qualified Applicants are considered for positions and are evaluated without regard to mental or physical disability, race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status or any other classification protected under applicable Federal, State or Local law.
We will endeavor to make a reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitations of a qualified applicant with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If you believe you require such assistance to complete this form or to participate in an interview, please contact Human Resources at 203-739-7330 (for reasonable accommodation requests only). Please provide all information requested to assure that you are considered for current or future opportunities.
Job Type: Full-time