The YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit is a non-profit organization dedicated to strengthening the foundation of community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively affects the lives of the people in your community. Working at the Y, you’ll discover more than just a job—you’ll enjoy a career with the chance to make a lasting difference in the lives of those around you.
The Director Trainee Internship will provide prospective camping/recreation professionals with hands-on experience in all aspects of camp operations. Trainees will also work with program director to learn and assist with marketing, budgeting, purchasing, training and program development. Includes direct work with campers and guest groups. Attend professional development opportunities and gain certifications through Camp Ohiyesa - Ellis lifeguard, high ropes, archery, boating certifications. Position is set up to run from March through November each year, with potential or longer or shorter term. Housing and food is provided along with competitive weekly stipend.
- Run programming during summer camp and outdoor education seasons as necessary.
- Plan, develop, and implement other programs as assigned by the Program Director.
- Expand skills to the fullest in conducting the program.
- Help set group goals and individual goals for each member of the group.
- Assist program director with administrative work (marketing, budgeting, purchasing etc...).
- Attend professional development opportunities
- Participate in staff meetings and regular supervisory conferences.
- Familiarize self with emergency procedures as stated in the staff information.
- Staff a combination of school educational camps, open houses, weekend retreats, and various other rental groups.
- Attend camp fairs to promote summer programs
- Attend school orientations to help teach parents and students about upcoming experiences.
- To carry out other duties as deemed necessary by the Program Director to assure the overall success of the program.
- Must be 19 years old and have one year of college or equivalent life experience.
- Experience in the camping/recreation industry preferred.
- Aspirations of working full-time in the camping/recreation industry.
- Excellent customer service and communication skills.
- Excellent leader and can put as much enthusiasm into mopping a bathroom as running a campfire
- Willingness to challenge the status quo and come up with and implement new ideas.
- Ability to work long hours in predominantly outdoor environment.
- Ability to lead and teach a group of children.
- Ability to lead and teach a group of adults and other staff.
The YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit (“YMCA”) is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to be an inclusive and welcoming environment for all. The YMCA does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring or other terms or conditions of employment on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sex, age, religion, national origin, genetic information, ethnicity, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, military status or application or any other basis protected by state, federal or other applicable law.
The YMCA of Metropolitan Detroit is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of children in our programs. We hold all staff, regardless of position, to the highest possible standards. We require all staff to be screened regularly and sign a code of conduct. All staff will be monitored when interacting with
program participants. We take any inappropriate interactions between program
participants and with staff very seriously and will fully cooperate with
authorities in any case of abuse.