Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
The Specialty Materials segment manufactures products that provide more than 150 material formulations for glass, glass ceramics and fluoride crystals to meet demand for unique customer needs. Consequently, this segment operates in a wide variety of commercial and industrial markets that include display optics and components, semiconductor optics components, aerospace and defense, astronomy, ophthalmic products, telecommunications components and cover glass that is optimized for portable display devices.
Scope of Position:
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Subject matter expert (SME) for Assembly, Integration and Testing of Electro-Optical systems (Refractive & Reflective).
- Provide hands-on manufacturing support including assembly, alignment, troubleshooting and test on an as needed basis.
- Works within a cross functional team to develop and transfer new optical systems and processes from prototype to production.
- Designs experiments and test plans to measure and validate system performance against print specifications.
- Leverages internal design team to troubleshoot customer system issues.
- Conducts Measurement System Analysis's (MSA's) and Gage Repeatability and Reliability (Gage R&R) for measurement systems utilized in producing parts.
- Be the plant SME for Assembly, Integration and Test and go-to person for related issues
- Assist with the creation of Assembly Instructions and subsequent training of assembly and test technicians.
- Champion process changes as needed to improve system first pass yield in manufacturing.
- Participate in design reviews both with internal design team and external make-to-print customers.
- Thoroughly document all inspection equipment processes starting with clear functional requirements, test procedures, qualification experiments, and calibration processes including benchmarking to known standards.
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
40 hours, Monday – Friday; weekend support as required to support objectives; off-hours meetings and e-mails as needed.
B.S. – M.S. in Physics, Optical Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent.
- Minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in Assembly and Test of Electro-Optical Systems
- Strong knowledge and use of Interferometry for alignment, test and troubleshooting of optical systems
- Ability to troubleshoot complex electro-optical systems composed of reflective/refractive optics and subassemblies including field of view, filter, and focus mechanisms
- Able to dissect complex assignments into manageable tasks separating the known and unknown and takes appropriate actions using data to minimize risk
- Uses appropriate analysis tool including PPA, DA, FMEA, and other more specific engineering tools to make the right decision with time permitting information
- Ability to work within a cross functional team of varying skills and experience levels with a willingness to provide and receive direction
- High level of ownership and commitment to drive problem resolution bringing the technological background and experience to solve problems
- Possesses technical curiosity always expanding skills as technology evolves
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral)
- Ability to multi-task and change direction and focus as needed
- Ability to work in a diverse environment and across multiple cultural boundaries
- Familiar with Code V and/or Zemax optical ray trace software
- Understanding of stray light analysis and reduction
- Understanding of Diamond Turned and conventional optics manufacture
- Familiar with Aerospace and Defense market space Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership):
- Effective at communicating across varying payroll levels and different functional groups.
- Confident presentation skills with the ability to tailor messages to the audience.
- Knows when and what to communicate throughout the life of a project with clear concise wording.
- Uses illustrations well to communicate across technical and cultural boundaries.
Required to sign Convenant Not to Compete.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.