Design, implement, and maintain all technical support systems in district.
Bachelor’s degree, Associate’s degree, or verifiable work experience
Valid Texas driver's license with a safe driving record (must meet and maintain liability coverage eligibility)
Candidate must have satisfactory outcome of fingerprinting background check.
Three (3) years’ experience in VMware and Windows Server environment
VMware View Administration
VMware vSphere Server Administration
Knowledge of all applicable federal, state, and local laws, guidelines and procedures
Knowledge of computer and networking technologies and configurations
Skill in managing Windows Active Directory, DHCP, Group policy, IIS, WDS, WSUS, and SQL 2005-2016
Skill in managing multiple operating systems and network protocols in a VMware Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
Knowledge of Microsoft Windows Server 2003-2016
Knowledge of Linux Operating Systems
Knowledge of Microsoft Exchange Server & Office 365 Exchange Management
Knowledge of Google Suite Management
Knowledge of PCoIP / ThinOS Devices
Skill in troubleshooting server hardware and software
Skill in recognizing, analyzing, and resolving server, data storage, and data backup system problems
Effective and efficiently handle multiple tasks simultaneously
Skill in working in collaborative team based environments
Excellent customer service skills; must communicate clearly and effectively, orally, and in writing
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
(The following statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned and should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions that may be assigned or skills that may be required)
The Educators' Code of Ethics is set forth in Texas Administrative Code to provide rules for standard practices and ethical conduct toward students, professional colleagues, school officials, parents, and members of the community.
- Rule §247.1 Purpose and Scope; Definitions
- Rule §247.2 Code of Ethics and Standard Practices for Texas Educators
The engineer provides technical support for the use of technology and technology equipment such as the following:
- Installs, tests and maintains server hardware, software, and related equipment in the VMware server and Windows server environment to include hosted applications and system-level upgrades and patches.
- Management of PCoIP and Thin OS devices.
- Management of various district/education specific applications.
- Operates and maintains the Storage Area Network (SAN) and data backup systems.
- Performs routine preventive maintenance on server, SAN, and data backup system hardware.
- Monitors, supports, and maintains system utilization; recommend improvements as needed.
- Assists with implementation of a disaster recovery plan.
- Manages multiple technology-based projects while working under general guidance.
- Identifies requirements and make recommendations for improving the server and data storage/backup infrastructure; plans, schedules, and coordinates system implementation and maintenance activities; determine operational, technical, and support requirements for the location, installation, operation, and maintenance of servers and data storage/backup systems.
- Monitors DVISD data center environmental conditions to include temperature, humidity, and power; coordinates and oversees maintenance activities related to equipment supporting the DVISD data center environment.
- Provides user support in the use of applicable hardware, software, and utilities as needed.
- Establishes and maintains regular written and in-person communication; develop and maintain technical documentation related to assigned functions and responsibilities.
- Participates in long range planning; contribute to planning and administering the assigned budget; assigns priorities to tasks and projects.
- Responsible for developing professional development for systems, servers, and virtual environments.
- Responsible for engineering a global system architecture for all DVISD enterprise technology systems.
- Provides second and third level support for systems administrators.
- Conserves electricity as outlined in the districts energy management plan.
The engineer promotes improvement of instruction by assisting with activities such as the following:
- Provides training on a variety of digital instructional resources to end users.
- Creates training support materials, including but not limited to, web-based training materials.
- Works collaboratively to integrated technology solutions and model exemplary instructional strategies which utilize effective and appropriate technology tools in the classroom.
- Facilitates the planning and application of emerging technologies in the classroom.
The engineer assists with managing administrative, fiscal, and facilities functions responsibly through activities such as the following:
- Obtains broad-based input for fiscal or financial analysis.
- Compiles reasonable budgets and cost estimates.
The engineer promotes leadership in efforts to improve the organization through activities such as the following:
- Collaborates in the development and articulation of a common vision of improvement.
- Ensures continuous renewal of systems, policies, and methods.
The engineer assists with fostering a positive morale through activities such as the following:
- Assesses and plans improvement of the school, school district, or community environment.
- Reinforces excellence.
- Promotes a positive, caring climate of learning.
- Uses effective communication skills.
Communication and Community Relations:
The engineer promotes a positive tone for community relations through activities such as the following:
- Fosters collaborative educational efforts among members of the total school community.
- Articulates the district’s mission and needs to the community.
- Seeks support for district wide programs; and involving himself or herself in community activities that foster rapport between the school district and the larger community.
Professional Growth and Development:
The engineer provides leadership in professional growth and development through activities such as the following:
- Attends professional growth activities.
- Participates actively in professional associations.
- Disseminates ideas and information to other professionals.
- Seeks and uses evaluative information for improvement of performance.
- Participates in campus and district technology staff development, special events, and training programs to improve job performance.
Qualities of an Effective Senior Systems Engineer
The engineer exhibits the following qualities:
- Daily attendance and punctuality at work are essential functions of the job.
- Complies with district and campus policies and procedures, as well as state and federal laws and regulations.
- Complies with the standards of conduct set out in Board Policy DH (Legal) and (Local) and with any other policies,regulations, and guidelines that impose duties, requirements, or standards.
- Demonstrates a high level of personal integrity, a collaborative leadership style, and high ethical standards.
- Keeps informed of and comply with state, district, and campus policies affecting schools.
- Compiles, maintains, and files all reports, records and other required documents.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Maintains confidentiality.
Supervision of assigned personnel.
Computer, scanner, printers, video equipment, sound systems, projection system, digital equipment, handheld devices, wireless hubs, calculator, telephone, copier, scanner, fax machine, and other equipment applicable to the position.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Works irregular and extended work hours to include holidays and weekends.
- Works with frequent interruptions and maintain emotional control under stress.
- Prolonged use of computer and telephone, walking, lifting, carrying, stooping, bending, kneeling and moving equipment.
- Limited exposure to hot and cold temperatures.
- Drive district van or personal vehicle as needed.
- Occasional work on-call and after hours.
- Prolonged hours in emergency equipment situations is required.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $65,826.00 to $79,069.00 /year
- VMware and Windows Server environment: 3 years