Oneida Healthcare (OHC) is a 101-bed acute care hospital and a 160-bed extended-care facility (ECF) and short-term rehab facility licensed by the State of New York and operated by Oneida Health Systems, Inc., a New York not-for-profit corporation. The hospital is Joint Commission accredited.
Provide accurate, timely and cost effective testing of patient samples to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of disease in compliance and harmony with the quality management system. Function as subject matter expert for the technical aspects of the laboratory department(s) for which they are assigned responsibility. Responsible for the supervisory oversight of technologists assigned to their specific laboratory department(s). Responsible for development of annual departmental budget and monitoring departmental expenses.
1. Provide direct supervision of medical technologists assigned to their departmental cost center, and any technologists rotating into the department. Monitor workflow and assign staff to various tasks and functions to assure completion of work. Perform competency assessments of technologists that work in the department. Perform annual evaluations of technologists assigned departmental cost center.
2. Function as subject matter expert for technical aspects of their specific department. Review and maintain standard operating procedures specific to the department. Assure all equipment is maintained according to manufacturer and regulatory requirements, and that required validation, calibration, linearity, performance checks are performed at required intervals.
3. Rotate into departmental work schedule as a medical technologist. Meet all performance standards for generalist medical technologist (see 4-14 below)
4. Determine normal and abnormal components of blood and body fluids by conducting chemical analyses of blood, urine, and other body fluids.
5. Analyze blood cells by counting and identifying cells, using both automated and microscopic techniques and procedures (N/A if not trained in Hematology)
6. Prepare blood, plasma and platelets for transfusion by conducting blood group, type and compatibility tests. Select and issue appropriate products for transfusion. (N/A if not trained in Blood Bank)
7. Ensure operation of analyzers and other laboratory equipment by calibrating; completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs. May be a key analyzer operator with proper training and documentation of skills.
8. Conserve laboratory resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results
9. Accurately complete records and reports and other statistical information for master files or databases. Follows laboratory policy for data retrieval, record keeping, specimen, and identification, requisition, reporting, charting , and billing procedures
10. Perform testing in accordance with standard operating procedures, manufacturer’s instructions, and regulatory requirements.
11. Perform orientation and training of new staff. Maintain new staff training documentation.
12. Maintain a positive working relationship with the medical staff and hospital personnel. Uses positive interpersonal skills to educate/support lab customers and promote success of team members. Uses clear and concise verbal and written communication with staff and the public. Acts independently on supervisor’s direction and accepts responsibility of the adopted policy and procedures of the hospital and laboratory. Works different shifts as required.
13. Participates in QC/QI of area of specialty and Lab Indicators. Does not report patient results unless quality control data are within accepted parameters. Recognizes out of control values, takes corrective action, and notifies others of changes.
14. Assume responsibility to resolve problems. Investigates and resolves technical problems. Serve as departmental resource for medical technologists on all shifts. Modify departmental policies/procedures as needed. Identifies real or potential situations or equipment failure, attempts to resolve within area of specialty or knowledge and refers complex issues to appropriate source.
15. Develop annual department expense budget. Monitor department expenses to assure that expenses are being maintained within approved budget amounts.
Education: Must meet education requirements as Clinical Laboratory Technologist defined by New York State Department of Education. Requires Bachelor’s Degree in Clinical Laboratory Technology from approved school
Experience: Must have minimum of six years experience as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist to meet New York State Department of Health requirements for Laboratory Supervisor.
Licensure: Must be licensed as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist by New York State Department of Education.
Competitive salary and excellent benefits, including 403(b) with both matching and discretionary contributions, generous health insurance benefits, paid life/LTD insurance and 29 paid days off to start.
Job Type: Full-time