The position summary states the general nature and purpose of the job. Overall accountabilities are defined in this section.
Responsible for the maintenance and growth of national chain accounts. Works with marketing, business and trade to develop sales programs. Introduces and places new products with customers, executes organizational initiatives and develops programs to drive sales of key items with strategic customers for long-term growth. Acts as a lead by managing and developing broker partnerships and retail or foodservice execution for key customers.
Responsibilities and tasks are written as follows:
Establish Business with Existing Accounts
- Makes sales calls in relation to national and regional account chains to promote growth of current accounts.
- Acts as a lead on accounts by managing, maintaining and growing existing business as well as generating new accounts.
- Conducts sales training and presentations.
- Determines the need for new product/project initiatives or continuous improvement of existing products.
Product Management and Research and Development Efforts
- Maintains established business with existing accounts for continued growth.
Communication with Managers and Brokers and Customer Service
- Keeps informed of product management and research and development efforts in order to increase sales and satisfy customer requests for new items.
- Acts as a technical expert to the customer, providing training and creating sales presentations, providing solutions to business issues facing the customer.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Establishes and maintains open communication with Regional Managers and Brokers on all customer activities.
- Works with corporate to ensure quick resolution of any customer service issues.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university and 8+ years’ relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferred.
- Minimum of 3+ years’ experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Must understand the dynamics of the Consumer Packaged Goods industry.
- Existing customer contacts with large National chain accounts, preferred.
- Must understand the dynamics of the food business and how the account is positioned in the retail or foodservice channel.
- Must have a solid understanding of customer focused and fact based selling, including IRI, Neilsen and Perishable Group data.
- Understanding of product cuttings – comfort and knowledge of product attributes.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- High level of written and verbal communication skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability.
- Knowledge and experience with Apple software, Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- SAP experience, preferred.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- May travel up to 75% of the time.
- Provides leadership and guidance to National Account Managers, Senior Sales Account Managers, Sales Account Managers or Sales Representatives.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
Smithfield is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.